Quirky bala sharks and barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

tlyons01

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 55 gal tank with 2 bala's and 4 barbs and cycled the tank for about 3 months prior to getting these the same day, and have had the group almost a month. At first, all was great with all of them. I noticed that the bala's color periodically gets lighter, this happened to them as soon as I had them at home. One of my bala's color is so light, it looks like he is losing his color. For a while now, the fish have been hanging around nose down, tail up. This goes for them all. It started with just the bala's but the barbs are doing it as well. I see the barbs chase eachother periodically. So I took a water sample to the store, 2 weeks ago, after my 40% water change when they first started the nose dive float. The water was good. The store rep had no information about the way they hang around. I thought maybe it would pass, but they are still doing it. I can see just at the tip of the light bala's dorsal fin seems to be missing. I do not see any other issues with the other fins, the other fishes fins but the other bala has the same thing. Where do I start? I have searched all over the net and have not found anything about the way they hang around. I have wondered if maybe there was too much agitation with my filtration system, but they don't stay on the side that does not have the filter and they swim around the whole tank. They are eating everyday just fine also, I forgot to mention that. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

I'd say the best thing you can do for them right now is buy a liquid test kit and give us exact measurement for ammonia, nitrite and nitrates. That'll be super super helpful in diagnosing your problem!

ok I will have the water tested tomorrow, as that will be the earliest I can get out to get that done. The PH looks to be about 7.8. I intend on at least a 40% water change today and clean the gravel bed. Thank you for responding!

You're welcome! PWC's and gravel vacs are always a good idea. Let us know what you find out!

The fins on the balls could be from the barbs nipping them barbs are known for being fin nippers I don't know about the way their floating.

Thanks I did not know that about the Barbs. will have to keep a close eye on them. I did my 50% water change and noticed that the black outline on the tailfin come back, though the rest of him is still very pale. I fed them a little while ago and he did not eat at all, just sorta laid on the bottom of the tank. I was able to locate in another forum that the vertical floating is common in the barbs as they do this when sleeping and attracting mates. Still have not found why a bala would do that. I did find some youtube videos of other balas doing the vertical thing, so i am still at a loss. Will have my water tested tomorrow and post the stats..

Awesome, that'll help a lot. Did you happen to cycle your tank before adding fish?

Edit: Sorry, I saw that you did. Did you add an ammonia source when you cycled?

I had 2 balas and both of them were boring little water turds. They just sit there in that vertical state you mentioned and do nothing, as of last week one was missing, I believe frank, my 8in Leporinus ate him. Now I have one. But he still sits in the water vertically. Always have.

I must also state that your balas are in a tank much to small for their adult size. You really should think about brining them back if you don't plant on getting at least a 125g tank for them.

Hi, thanks for your input. Good to know that I am not the only one with weird fish. I am now aware, about the adult size of them. I did not think long and hard when I made the decision the day at the LPS and returning them is no longer an option. I am not sure if there will ever be room for a 125g, but when the time comes that they outgrow our tank, I will look for them a new home. I am counting on it being a few years from now, at least that is what my LPS stated yesterday.

As far as putting an Ammonia source in while it was cycling, I was not aware of that I needed to. It cycled for about 4 months, the last batch of fish I got before Christmas did not make it and I could not figure out why cause I had emptied and restarted the tank after the goldfish gave out. So I started with new gravel, the same tank decor and no charcoal filter and let it run 4 months. I am pretty certain Ich was the culprit in the second group and had treated them while in the tank, but they did not make it. So no host, no Ich. I had my water tested at the LPS yesterday, though I did not get numbers, he said everything looked really good. Got them some frozen food, and for the first time ever I fed that to fish. I found it rather gross to handle even though I did not touch it. Guess I am more of a girly girl than I used to be... It was really cool to watch them eat the real things though! I am keeping watch and will test the Ammonia levels often to be sure it stays good.

It sounds like from the cycled media and stuff your tank should probably be cycled by now, but yeah, the only way you'll be able to tell is if you test the ammonia, nitrite and nitrate levels.

Back
Top Bottom