Rapidly losing danios..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lunch

Aquarium Advice Freak
Having successfully set up my first ever "real" fishtank (290 lts) and it being sweet 3 months later, i talked her into letting me start a 2nd, smaller tank ( 90 lts ).
I followed the same, fish in cycle method as the first time except i kick started it with some bio-media, water and a couple ornaments from my cycled tank, 3 weeks in i added 5 harlequin rasboras to the existing 10 neons, as it turns out, 1 of the harlequins was heavily infested with ich, being new to the hobby, the whole concept of qt fish b4 adding them to a tank wasnt a topic I'd come across in my extensive ( and probably excessive ) hours of research, it was only coincidence that i stumbled across a site describing ich that i realised that I'd seen that on 1 of the harlequins but not b4 id used the magnetic algae scraper from my big tank in the new tank and put it back in the big tank.. So i bag the infested harlequin and take it to my lfs for confirmation, he sent me home with FORMALIN and VITAMIN C and told me to treat both tanks, 8 days later and 2 doses of formalin and 2 pc's i stop treatment in the big tank but continue it in the harlequin tank because the ich hasnt cleared.

My big tank is home to 2 orandas and 2 fantails ( all under 4') 6 wcmm, 6 zebra danios and a bristle nose pleco ( under 2' ) all of which have been in there since cycled and 6 gold danios that were added a week b4 the trouble started, since starting treatment ive lost 1 zebra and 3 golds, the remaining zebras arent their normal boisterous selves, to the point their not eating and ive removed 1 from the tank completely due to his inactivity and a dark red area above his mouth as well as his pectoral fins constantly sticking out at 90 deg angle to his body, both have red lines where they meet the body, his activity in the qt has improved but he still isnt eating.

All the wcmm, goldfish, pleco and the 3 remaining golds seem fine, it only seems to be the zebras atm.

Ive googled as much as i can without a decent result, this is my last option, sorry the the epic saga of a back story and thank you for taking the time to read

Tank parameters as of this afternoon

Ph: 6.5
Ammonia: 0
NO2: 0
NO3: 4.0
GH: 10
KH: 8

For starters your goldfish like colder water than your other fish. Danios and pleco's are considered tropical fish whereas goldfish are cold water fish.

Goldfish are messy eaters and pleco's are poop machines. That's quite a bit of bioload. How often do you perform water changes?

Caleb

Sent via TARDIS

Weekly water changes alternating between 45ltrs (1/6) and 90ltrs (1/3), always with a 1/2 tank gravel vac, the tank also has 7 live plants.. I'm in Australia so we're just coming out of summer, the tank was at a steady 24'c and all the fish in the tank were fine so I threw a heater in it ( the day i started treatment ) and have it set at 24'c. Every lfs I've been to have their danios in the cold water section or at the very most have "cold/tropical" on the tank, the heater mostly went in for the pleco..
ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1426615417.400780.jpg
Sorry bout the average photo, hard to take good 1s on an iPhone

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Ok so the danio in the qt has turned up his toes over night so I'm up to 5 dead in 11 days

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I can see which danio will be next to go, hes showing all the signs.
1. Not eating (sunken belly)
2. Slowly swimming at the surface
And this next 1 i only noticed by watching the 1 in the qt last night
3. Seems to be visually impaired ( keeps swimming into things( plants, goldfish, side of the tank) )

Although this 1 has no redness and fins r working properly

Back
Top Bottom