Red Gills?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chris7495

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi Everyone,

I just joined the site today and am hoping to get some advice. I am a newer tank Hobbyist who has definitely made some mistakes. Long story, Ill try to make it short. I had a ten gallon and 36 gallon tank with too many angels ( I was waiting to get mates and sell the rest to lfs) when 2 of them starting mating and became very aggressive ( happened three days ago, still no eggs.) This took me by surprise as I have only had these fish since early March when they were dime size. I panicked :banghead: and combined both tank to give the ten galllon to the pair because I thought they were going to kill others ( it was pretty bad, one had another trapped in a corner and repeatedly rammed him as he layed there.

I thought since I do frequent water changes and that the tank had excellent water that I could make due until the new tank was done cycling. Well yesterday morning I started seeing some of the Koi Angels with dark red in their gills. i checked the water and had 0 ammonia 2.0 ppm Nitrite ( I freeked) o nitrate. I immediately did a 50% water change with prime and aquarium salts. Well this morning I came home (work nights) checked the water 0 ammonia 0 Nitrite 0 nitrate and noticed my make swordtail is swimming sideways and is about to die. At first I thought the red gills were from Nitrite poisoning but now i'm not so sure as I don't think the Sword will survive:(.

Im not sure what to do as my new tank is not ready, the ten gallon has the mating pair, and my 36 gallon is not looking to good. I know I have to do major water changes and test everyday but should I put some of the angels I don't like as much in the new tank to reduce the bio load? Im not even sure if its ammonia poisoning or a bacterial infection of some kind but I would appreciate and advice. Ill post a couple picks of the koi angels that show the red gills the most if i can figure out how.

Thanks for any help advice if you can give it
Chris

Back
Top Bottom