Redness Around Gills of Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadameCheshire

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 10gallon tank that has been running for about 2 and a half weeks. The goldfish is a shubunkin that is about 3.5 inches long and that has been in there for about 6days now. We have had the water tested recently and everything was as it should be.
The goldfish has recently developed a sort of redness around his gills and I'm rather concerned about it. It first appeared 2 days ago and has only slowly gotten worse.
t8q4hy.jpg

You can see some of the redness in the photo. He is still swimming around and eating, but I'm concerned about the fact that its getting worse.

10 gallon is too small. did you do a fishless cycle before adding it? when you say the numbers are right where they should be, what do you mean? how often are you changing the water and how much are you changing? what sort of conditioner are you using?

if i had to guess i would say there is high ammonia and that is causing the redness around the gills. if you did not cycle the tank before adding the fish, i would suggest doing 50% water changes every other day. also consider re-homing that fish.

10 gallon is too small. did you do a fishless cycle before adding it? when you say the numbers are right where they should be, what do you mean? how often are you changing the water and how much are you changing? what sort of conditioner are you using?

if i had to guess i would say there is high ammonia and that is causing the redness around the gills. if you did not cycle the tank before adding the fish, i would suggest doing 50% water changes every other day. also consider re-homing that fish.

2.5 weeks is hardly enough time for a cycle even with seeded media.

I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably ammonia burns.

10g is way too small for any goldfish for that matter.

Caleb

2.5 weeks is hardly enough time for a cycle even with seeded media.

I'm going to go ahead and say it's probably ammonia burns.

10g is way too small for any goldfish for that matter.

Caleb
Water has been tested and ammonia is at 0 and I do a 30% water change every 2 days :/

When I tested it ammonia was at 0. I do partial water changes every 2 days. Also it's a single goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I have looked at multiple sites before getting this fish to see if the size would be fine and from what I read as long as I keep up on water changes it would be fine.

im not sure where you read that it would be ok in a 10 and i have a hard time believing the ammonia is zero. that fish belongs in a pond. im not being critical just giving honest advice.

When I tested it ammonia was at 0. I do partial water changes every 2 days. Also it's a single goldfish in a 10 gallon tank. I have looked at multiple sites before getting this fish to see if the size would be fine and from what I read as long as I keep up on water changes it would be fine.

Not to sound mean but what sites?

The goldfish will be okay for now but as it grows it will be harder to keep water quality and may eventually stunt its growth.

Keep doing the water changes as it's unlikely this tank finished cycling.

Caleb

Not to sound mean but what sites?

The goldfish will be okay for now but as it grows it will be harder to keep water quality and may eventually stunt its growth.

Keep doing the water changes as it's unlikely this tank finished cycling.

Caleb
I'm not going to go through my internet history to go through and find all 30-40 sites I have probably visited in the past 2-3 weeks before getting the fish just to list them here. Also I know a smaller tank can stunt its growth which is why as it grows I plan on upgrading the tank size as I go along and as it gets bigger. Since you insist on knowing exactly what sites I can say that many of them were forums specified for people who raise goldfish along with some pet store and goldfish info sites.

im not sure where you read that it would be ok in a 10 and i have a hard time believing the ammonia is zero. that fish belongs in a pond. im not being critical just giving honest advice.
This kind of response isn't helping at all. And are you trying to tell me that a test kit is lying about the ammonia being 0 then?

alright good luck to you. im done and your fish likely is, too, if you dont want to accept good advice.

I'm not going to go through my internet history to go through and find all 30-40 sites I have probably visited in the past 2-3 weeks before getting the fish just to list them here. Also I know a smaller tank can stunt its growth which is why as it grows I plan on upgrading the tank size as I go along and as it gets bigger. Since you insist on knowing exactly what sites I can say that many of them were forums specified for people who raise goldfish along with some pet store and goldfish info sites.

I wasn't insisting. I was curious.

Why ask for help and then criticize the help being provided?

From the attitude it seems you know what your doing and don't need help.

Caleb

Well have fun. Personally if you're not going to help with the ACTUAL PROBLEM, then I would prefer you to be gone. If I say I did my research I did my research. I care about animals a lot and when it comes to pets I am not someone to do something halfway.

I wasn't insisting. I was curious.

Why ask for help and then criticize the help being provided?

From the attitude it seems you know what your doing and don't need help.

Caleb
Because the things you are stating over and over aren't helping with the actual problem. If I am testing my water and its saying ammonia isn't high, then that means that ammonia isn't the problem (especially when I am doing partial water changes to keep it that way). So, instead of going in circles I would prefer an actual solution.

I care about animals a lot and when it comes to pets I am not someone to do something halfway.

halfway seems a bit generous in this case...but ok, what are you using to test the water? believe it or not, we actually do want to help your fish out. what are the full results from your tests of the water?

Here is the best example I can think of to share.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forum...uire-big-tanks-visual-perspective-265871.html

It is unusual to see the tank with a goldfish at 0 ammonia unless it was right after a pwc or 2.

What is the NitrIte level and NitrAte level?

[Edited out the question of the type of test kit.]

The gills could be from NitrIte or NitrAte as well as ammonia poisoning.

People want to assist you in helping the fish be well and not see it is suffering in poor conditions.

Last edited:
Another one to check would be ph. Although at those water change levels shouldn't be too bad.

As above, water conditions would be my suspect. As you are aware you will need to upgrade tank size.

Other things to check would be:

Any flashing?

What water conditioner are you using?

Is the water used for changes the same temp roughly?

Are you seeing any cloudy water after a water change?

hey OP, come back to the conversation. it doesnt have to be an argument. we just ask these questions to figure out what is going on. post up your test results if you can: ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, pH. also what type of conditioner youre using. i am curious to know about the tank. you said it has been running for 2.5 weeks but you added the goldfish 7 days ago? what did you do the first 11 days? were you adding a source of ammonia? i think it is good that you are doing water changes every other day. you may want to consider bumping the % up a bit, at least for the next month or so. goldfish produce a lot of waste, that is why it is surprising to see zero ammonia in a new tank. it would help to understand if you explained what you did the first 11 days. did you add seeded media, a source of ammonia.

nobody wants to run you off. sometimes when people ask a lot of questions, it seems like you are being judged and can make someone defensive. there's no need for that here. everybody makes some mistakes when they first start.

Correct Thing Fish. We ask questions so we can know what's going on in the tank since we are not there to see it. It makes for a better visual and a better diagnosis.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom