Rubberlip Pleco died (Anyone know why?)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jbarr

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently bought a Rubberlip pleco at Petsmart. About 6 days ago.

It was about 2.5 inches. It took ages for the lady to finally catch one; they were all too fast or would cling too hard on the glass to be pulled off.
I think that stressed a lot of them out.

I put him in my tank (properly acclimated), and he slowly sunk to the bottom. He scoped things out a bit, getting a feel for things, then he went under my driftwood. He hid there for days.

I tried coaxing him out with algae tablets, and shrimp pellets, over the course of about 3 days. He didn't move really at all, not even after lights out.

On day 4 about, I came home to see him on the front lower corner of my tank. I was very happy to see that. I put an algae tab in to try and get some food in him, he didn't eat any. Nothing noticeable at least.

Finally, today I was looking around for him, only to see him in the same old hiding spot. Though pale, and not breathing. I scooped him out. He was dead.

He seemed like he was breathing pretty frenetically, kind of fast.

I should add this tank has been set up for about a month now.Not fully cycled, Nitrites were usually sort of high; bad I know. But it was ironic, just today, My nitrites are finally at 0 (Do i need to do any additionaly pwc now?). pH is ~7.4.

So I was just wondering if anyone knows the possible cause of this. No physical harm on him.

A few possible reasons;
1) Stress from removal and transport to my tank?
2) Starvation?
3) Nitrites too high/Uncycled?
4) pH too high?

Any help at all is appreciated.

High nitrites. Plecos don't do good in uncycled tanks.

Also, cycling can cause ph fluctuations if your kh is low, which could also affect the fish.

A ph of 7.4 is just fine for the plecos. It's not high at all, but if it's fluctuating due to cycling, then it's bad.

OK, cool thanks for the info.

But my nitrites are finally at 0. Is there anything I need to do to maintain that?

If your cycle is complete, then you need to do nothing to maintain it, just don't add too many fish at once. Give it a week or 2 between fish adding, and only 2-3 fish at a time, or 4-6 if they are small tetras.

Back
Top Bottom