salt for ich,how much for a 4ft tank,tbsp per litre please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Biggles

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
after reading lots of ich threads on this forum I have decided to treat my ich outbreak with a combination of heat and salt so could anyone tell me how much salt per litre of water and also how many litres a 4ft tank holds I have calculated it to be 480ltrs does that sound right?Growing up in Australia I have no idea how many gallons =litres as we don't use gallons over here,also don't use Farenheight only celcius when talking heat .so I am getting confused about how much to use.I think I have to raise the temp to 30-32C but not sure how much salt is 6tbsp enough? :oops:

1 liter = 0.264172051 US gallons for conversions. This unfortunately sounds like a horrible number to work with to me since I stink at math. Hopefully you are better. 30 celcius is 86 degrees farenheit which is the best temperature to shoot for and maintain for awhile. I wouldn't go above that.

As far as the salt.....I wouldn't use it since you have a bristlenose and some corydoras. They don't always tolerate salt well. I have heard people say they use salt on scaleless fish with no consequence but in that case I have no ideas regarding appropriate dosage. The heat alone should work though.

Anyway I'm sure others will chime in and give you more suggestions.

I agree with eliminating the salt. Bottom dwellers have major problems with it. You could go up a couple of degrees (to 86d or 30c).

Once the last ich spot disappears from your fish, you can keep the treatment going for an additional two weeks after. This will get rid of any free floating ich nasties that were left behind.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom