Senegal Bichir hurt! Help!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aaryk

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
My senegal is pretty small. He may be 3 inches. I was given a canister filter tonight and set it up. I adjusted the intake so the pull wasn't very strong but I didn't expect the senegal to swim up the intake tube. I didn't realize he was missing until I fed and he didn't come out to eat. About 30 minutes to an hour later. I removed all the rock work from the tank and couldn't find him so I tore the filter apart and he was in it. He was bleeding around the eye and gills and the fin down his back is tore up pretty bad. I have him in a small medical tank now and have administered Melafix. Any help would be appreciated. I don't wanna lose this guy.

Oh WOW! I'm so sorry! You must be so worried. :( Good job on getting him to a hospital tank. You are doing the right things. Add some prime (or stress coat) and do as many water changes as you can a day....two at least if you can and watch for any infections that may come about. If you keep the water super clean and use the Melafix it may just surprise you and be ok.

Don't beat yourself up about the intake...but you can put a sponge over it to avoid a repeat. That is what I had to do with my tanks, some fish just can't help themselves when they see what looks like a cave of sorts :)

Back
Top Bottom