serpae tetra - necrosis?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MoSinister

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a serpae tetra who's recently developed a condition not unlike neon tetra disease. A portion of his body behind the dorsal fin right up to the caudel fin has lost most of its color and looks quite a bit like the necrosis that happens in neon tetra disease. Are Serpaes susceptible to this disease? The tank previously had a school of neons which all succumbed to NTD. I see no evidence of external parasites, but the area is swollen some. I've removed the AC and dosed with Melafix, but don't hold out hope as I have bad luck with unhealthy fish.

Water parameters are: ammonia 0, nitrite 0, nitrates 10ppm. Last water change was 2 days ago.

The fish in question has no obvious issues with the fins, scales or injuries. He has been in the tank about two weeks. Originally, this was a school of six. Two died overnight on the same night when the wife put lettuce in the tank to collect snails (no idea if it's coincidence or not; it happened too fast to even notice if they were sick. They were looking good the day before). That was on day 6 or 7. Then no problems until yesterday.

This could be a case of sick-from-the-store, but I just want to know if anyone knows what disease this little guy might have.

Regards.

ps. Been trying to take a pic, but he's fast.

I don't know if serpaes are succeptible to NTD, but there is a disease that is a false NTD. It has symptoms similiar to NTD.

It may also be columnaris or another fungal/bacterial infection. The patch that is faded, is there any cottony growth on it at all?

I would be incline to believe that it is most likely a bacterial infection. What size tank is it and what are the other inhabitants?

Back
Top Bottom