severe pop eye and then some

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a bronze corey who recently had a very sudden and severe case of pop eye. One day I didn't notice anything unusual, the next day they eye was HUGE. I treated immediately with Maracyn II which seemed to bring the eye down by the second day or so. Continued the treatment for the full 5 day course, did a 50% water change, and the next day, the eye was gone. I was surprised, but the socket seemed undamaged, and the fish was acting fine (actually has been quite normal in terms of behaviour all the way through). Yesterday I noticed that part of the eye socket seemed to be kind of rotting away, and today I just came home to see that there is something white and fuzzy protruding out of the socket. I am not sure what to think now.

Take size is 50 gallons, planted peaceful community. Pushing the stocking limits (admitedly), but am doing weekly 50% pwcs. No other fish are showing any signs of illness. Parameters are 0, 0, and 20 and stable for a few years.

Any ideas out there?

Can you QT the fish to treat more aggressively? It may have been an injury that caused the original eye illness and perhaps it has become infected. If you can QT him it would make it easier to treat.

I would sure like to QT him, but I recently gave away my little tank to give a nice frog home :(

Any advice on what type of meds I should be thinking about?

What are the water parameters: pH, Ammonia, nitrite?
YOu can p/u any container that you can hang on the tank rim (container lfs may use to catch and bag). I think Lee's Products still makes them. Get the biggest one. Figure out the volume thus can use proper amt of med (cutting med) but follow the direction of med.
Hang this inside the tank using water from the tank (since inside, temp issue is solved). Could add gentle aeration. Voila!, now you have temp. hospital tank. If still have Maracyn II, guess could use it. Maracyn I (erythromyacin) might have worked better for pop eye or cloudy eye..
Hope it gets better even with loss of eye.
BTW, have another container with lots of holes (use hot tip of screwdriver) to be used as isolation MOTEL (introducing new fish or ICU for injured fish).
Hope this helpd a bit!

Pimafix will help and will not adversly effect anyone else in the tank.
You can use it in conjunction with other meds such as the Maracyn.
Some people, myself included, have had good results with a combination of Pimafix and Melafix used simultaniously.

Thanks folks. I did dose pimafix & melafix together last night (felt like I had to do something). I'm about to head out now and considering just picking up a new hospital tank, since I know I will probably need one again in the future (unfortunately).

Do you think I should continue the melafix/pimafix treatment or try Maracyn I? It is looking slightly worse today, but the lil' guys is still acting fairly normal in his state. I also just noticed that I have a bottle of Maracide as well.

You should give some time for any one med to work rather than mixing/changing to diff. med, imo.

Well, my cory is currently acclimating to a new QT here on my desk where I can watch how he's doing. I am now pretty sure that it is a secondary fungal infection, so I'm going to continue the pimafix/melafix treatment and hope for the best.

Thanks everyone. It's been along time since I've posted here.

The way I understand it, you will have to verify, you can do Maracyn with the Pimafix/Melafix. Again verify that before you do.

You can make an emergency QT tank with a clean bucket airstone and a heater. I would dose the QT with Maracyn

Back
Top Bottom