Sick discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zagz

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have 2 discus in QT right now. They have a patchy white spot that seems to be slightly peeling. I will attach pics. Parameters on the main tank, 75 gal planted. Ammonia 0ppm, nitrites 0ppm, nitrates 5ppm. One fish has the spot peeling and the other doesn't. Their color is good, they won't eat, they favor the fin near the spot and swim slightly leaning towards that side. But not all the time. I added some aquarium salt to the QT tank for now. Any ideas?

1001996.jpg

1001994.jpg

Unfortunately, without the use of a microscope it's impossible to accurately diagnose what is affecting the fish. It can be as simple as a reaction to poor water quality or an infestation of trematodes, a bacterial, or a fungal infection. Have you been feeding live foods?

It was wise to QT these discus. If the discus don't improve within 2 days of pwcs, I would treat with any medicine containing malachite green. This is effective for trematodes as well as many bacterial infections. Check with your lfs to see what is readily available off the shelf.

HTH

I put the one with the open sore down today. There was no hope :-(. I will treat the other one without the open sore with the mlachite green.

No live foods, water parameters have been consistent at 0 ammonia & nitrites, and nitrates of 5 ppm. Water changes every 2-3 days. The only thing I did differently was dose half a dose of fertilizer.

I'm sorry too Anne. I know the pain of losing a discus. All the fish in the main tank are fine?

Thanks guys. Brian all the other fish are fine. The one still in QT seems to being doing better since I put in the malachite green. Doing extra water changes on the big tank, to be safe and daily water changes on the QT tank.

Sorry to hear about the one discus...I hope the other recovers with the malachite green. Your water changes will certainly help too!

So glad to hear the other discus is improving.

i didnt want to say anything since you were looking for help not random messages. but i was keeping up on updates.
sorry about your loss and am glad to here that things are looking better for your little guy.
do you know what it was.

Back
Top Bottom