Sick dojo loach?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Drayven

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm just wondering if this is something I should be worried about. I have a couple gold dojo loaches and 1 regular colored. The larger of the gold ones I've had for probably 1-1.5 months now. What I've noticed is that she's started to turn more of a white color than gold. She still eats at both the morning and night feeding and she comes out and swims around. She's also grown a pretty good amount in the time I've had her. Is her color fading something I should be worried about?

The rest of the fish in the tank are healthy as far as I can tell. The swordtails and danios are very bright and colorful and have actually developed stripes and such they didn't have when I got them so I think that's typically a sign of a healthy tank right?

I test the water once a week before I do my 10% PWC and the ammonia/nitrite are both at 0 and the nitrate is typically right around 10ppm.

I'm not familar with that particular fish, (what's the latin name?), but I wouldn't get too worried about the colors on any fish changing if it is acting & eating normally & that there are no visible wounds or parasites.
Fish can change thier colors for heaps of reasons.
They could be doing it out of fear, aggression, hunger or just feeling abit moody. It could be for mating puposes to. Some will naturally try to blend into the background so that they go un-noticed. Fishes colors will come out more in a dark background as they feel more confident. Pale backgrounds often result in pale fish. Over bright lighting can also have an effect on some fish. Some spieces of fish simply change color totally as they mature.
Feeding has alot to do with colors. Feeding good quality food such as HBH or Spectrum & weekly feeds of live or frozen foods will help fish maintain good colors.

As far as I know they get pretty good quality food. The flakes for the danios and swordtails are Omega One. I also drop in a couple HBH shrimp pellets for the loaches, swordtails and pleco. Then every few days I put an HBH algae wafer near the pleco's hang out. I should work some live food in.

As for the lating I believe it's Misgurnus anguillicaudatus. It's the dojo/weather loach

HBH is good stuff, I use it myself.
We call them weather loaches where I'm from. The ones I have seen usually vary from a creamy white through to a dark golden color so I don't think I would get too worked up about it unless you start to get other signs that something is wrong. Not eating, visible parasites etc.
Hope that helps.

Thanks that's reassuring. All the ones I've seen around here are a deep gold color.

And yeah the weather/dojo thing is kinda wierd. For the most part the standard colored ones around here are called weather loaches but the gold ones are called gold dojos.

Back
Top Bottom