Sick Dojo Loach

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GouramiFanatic

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The 46 gallon tank in my signature is where I work so it's hard for me to stay on top of maintainence. As I'm sure many of you are also effected by this economy I was as well. I lost a person in my department which means I have even more responsibility which just adds to the difficulties in trying to find time to do PWCs.

With that said, the water parameters got a little bit rough. I lost a Dojo Loach and when I tested it the Nitrates were high (40ppm). I did a water change and came in to a couple of dead Harlequin Rasboras (I think the water change may have shocked them). I did a 2nd water change and haven't had any deaths since then.

But.... for the past few weeks now, one of my other Dojo's seems to be in rough shape. It seems to have a lump right behind it's left pectoral fin. It's hard to say how big it is, it's not huge, but it's definitely noticeable. It's also breathing heavily and not eating very much at all. When I fed them this morning (I hadn't seen them all weekend) I made sure to drop a shrimp pellet directly in front of it and it "sucked" on it for a few minutes before letting go and swimming away. From then on it made it's rounds around the tank, but spent a lot of time at the surface.

All of my other fish are perfectly fine now. I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do to help the little guy. I've never experienced anything like this. Does it sound like a bacterial infection? A parasite? Something else?

Parameters as of early today...
Ammonia, Nitrites = 0
Nitrates = 20ppm
Ph = 7.0
Temp = 73°

I am gathering that you are using dechlorinator when you do water changes? Is there a bubbler in the tank? The nitrates at 40 ppm would not have been enough to cause the symptoms you are describing.

Is the lump white or red? Fungusy or cottony?

Yes, I use Seacham Prime when I do my water changes. I do have a bubble wall at the back of the tank. The lump isn't colored or anything. It's almost like it swallowed a small jelly bean or something. There's no fungus, cotton, etc. It's more like it's swollen or something. I will try to get a picture, but I don't think it will come out very good.

You have me stumped, I hope the pic does turn out. The only thing that keeps coming to mind is a tumor of some sort. Hopefully not but I can't think of another illness that has the same symptoms as you describe.

Could be roundworm.
Keep an eye on the bump and see if it migrates. If you look closely, you may be able to see tracks. It will look as though something is making tunnels under your fishes skin.
You could quarantine the fish in a small container, to collect samples of feces, and have a vet try to identify with a microscope what you may be dealing with. Then you would know how to properly treat your fish and tank.

I would QT these sick fish. Camallanus nematodes, can be found in any part of the fish, and pass from fish to fish. There is also a protozoa Called glugea, that reproduce under fishes skin and causes a cyst. The spores will rupture the cyst when the host dies, or when the cyst has reached its peak and infect your whole tank.

Unfortunately, the little guy died the night I posted this. :( I still have no clue what was wrong with it.

Back
Top Bottom