Sick Fantail Goldfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I finished the course of Furan 2 on Thursday, unfortunately this didn't seem to make any difference. I added carbon to the filter to remove the meds and have changed some water and tested all levels again. Ammonia is nil, pH about 6.8, nitrites nil and nitrates between 200-400ppm so all good there. I let her rest a couple of days, took her out on Saturday and gave her a salt bath before putting her back into the tank. I have been hand-feeding her a mix of shelled peas soaked in garlic and some blood worms as I thought the protein may help. She must have kept down some blood worms as she pooped a clear/dark stringy poop this morning and appeared to eat some peas tonight. Still up-side down though and breathing is laboured. I have also put the heater in the tank as (with being winter here) the temp dropped to 15 degrees celcius where optimum range is 20 -25. I have raised it to 20 celcius now to see if it makes any difference. I cannot source Triple Sulpha Powder or Tetracycline meds here either which is also frustrating. I will buy her some brine shrimp tomorrow, sounds like a plan. If it was parasites, would the other fish be showing signs as well or could they just attack the one fish? Thanks for your help - I will post a current pic ..

Gee, that's frustrating. The lifting of temperature sounds a good idea.

Any air in the poop at all?

Another to try would be putting in very shallow water just covering the fish (for a few days). The idea is that this will reduce water pressure on the body.

It's possible the parasites were always there and are just taking advantage of a fish with problems. Fish looks healthy though - no pine-coning of scales or pop-eye developing?

What fish meds can you source? Must confess I was thinking of the triple sulpha as a back-up plan to the metro.

I've moved Daisy into a bowl now, in shallow water as suggested and have added extra stress coat (aloe vera) as I was worried about her yesterday as her scales were beginning to stand up so suspected dropsy developing. I've added a quarter teaspoon Epsom salts to the water she's in which would be nearly 4 litres and have a good bubble pump in there pumping in a lot of oxygen which she seems to enjoy being near to. She is eating like a horse which surprised me tonight. Gave her goldfish dinner which is a healthy mix of peas, shrimp, spirulina, omega vitamins, lecithin, etc which I soaked in the garlic solution again. She ate a lot of it without spitting it out - one tough cookie I think :) Will see how she goes overnight but I'm happier that her appetite looks good. Did not notice air in her poop the other day, just stringy but as I said, partly dark from the bloodworms which is a good sign they have made there way through her system OK. Yes I wish I could source the triple sulpha but can't here. I can get melafix, wondering if it's worth a shot if she shows improvement in the next day or so - meant to be antibacterial too. Otherwise the pet stores (we only have 2 here in Tauranga where I live) don't stock other anti-bacterial meds, which I am going to talk to them about as I think there is a need. I've looked for maracyn but can't get that either - there seems to be a lot of fungal remedies but not bacterial ones, except Furan 2 which I tried and Pimafix. I have also searched online stores but the ones that stock anti-bacterial meds seem to be in the US and won't send to NZ. I do appreciate your help Delapool (what is your real name by the way?) so thanks for that.

A little quick as I'm on the train.

I would stop feeding now for three days. Epson salts a good idea.

Using pimafix and melafix for this I've never heard of. It's basically breaking new ground (nothing in the patents). One to watch is do not over-dose. Since the fish handled pima ok you could try it if other meds can't be sourced.

You may be able to order triple sulpha or other meds from Australia?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom