Sick fish, no signs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ruby159

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 40 gal tank of swordtails, I bought 8 online. They’ve been robust and beautiful. Ordered a second batch of 8 but it seems they were not as robust and healthy some have really not grown at all they are fed flake food frozen blood worms and a snak of algae tabs, this batch were pretty small when I got them. I added about 5 swords later on and all have been healthy. Later on one of the swords got a cotton looking growth in her gills, I quarantined her and treated with antibiotics that didn’t work. Tried malachite green, that didn’t work and she died. Now about 3 weeks later there are about 6 babies that were born here and did great, it seems now that they are all sick, there is nothing obvious. I’ve used a magnifying glass to get a close look, .Theydon’t want to eat and just kind of waste away. None have died. Ammonia 0,nitrites 0, ph 6.8, nitrates 5. I treated whole tank with para guard using only 3 caps instead of 4 as directed. It seems the fish are not doing well with it and look worse now. So I did about a ten gal WC.. I’m very frustrated and sad. I’m going to remove the sick babies to quarantine. Help! I feel like a failure

No everyone was fine and healthy, babies were robust. I’m beginning to think it may be the 8 swordtails that I bought online. Oddly a few of them have really not grown at all. Even though I feed the a varied diet, clean water, good parameters, I’ll remove the rest of them to quarantine and Medicate.

No everyone was fine and healthy, babies were robust. I’m beginning to think it may be the 8 swordtails that I bought online. Oddly a few of them have really not grown at all. Even though I feed the a varied diet, clean water, good parameters, I’ll remove the rest of them to quarantine and Medicate.
Some fish take longer to grow than others, I have 2 kangaroo creek rainbows that are growing more slowly than the others they are a little over a month old and are still only about 1", the female is about 3/4.

I am wondering if it isn't columnaris. Ditch the malachite green and go with methalene blue, kanaplex nitrofurazone. That said I just came out of columnaris so I see that first.

Back
Top Bottom