Sick Guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aydenge

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I’m getting back into fish keeping after a 7 year break, and I started with 5 guppies and 3 corydoras in a 10 gal tank. My corys and most of my guppies are doing fine, but one of them I’m worried has dropsy. I already had one guppy die about a month before, and he showed the same symptoms that this guppy is. Bloated belly, wonky swimming, and raised scales. Any advice what to do? I feed them about two times a day, all the water levels are normal, and I do a 20% water change every week.

Tell us about this tank filtration, heating devices, furniture, tap water parameters
(With those i can help a lot more)

2 times a day for guppy is a lot depending on how much u feeding them at each period.

Cory have a different water requirement than guppy, so check both fish parameters to see if that's the issue as well

This symptom (with your description) COULD BE "swim bladder"

What about the water u are using to make these changes? Did u tested the tap water (if using)? test the water before conditioner so you can check if you are adding the right amount of conditioner (my city has a really HARD HARD water, so I get to use different methods to deal with it)

10g is kinda small for 5 guppy because they can breed and will be a headache if there are too many inside, but the rule is 2 females for each male. Dont forget it

Hope it can help you for now
Thank you!

Edit: do not, never, forget about stress levels in your tank, thats why I asked about filtration, heater, water movement...stress kills a lot and it is a silencer killer

I’m thinking about lessening the food to once a day, since I’ve been to other sites and said the same thing. Usually it’s only a pinch. I agree that 10g is pretty small, but all my guppies are male and I don’t have enough space for a bigger tank. The furniture I have is a a small house for them to swim and hide in, along with 3 moss balls, an amazon sword plant, hornwort, and an Anubis plant. The filter I have is just a small silenstream filter. I’m not sure what my tap water parameters are. Usually I just condition the water and move on. My heater is a top fin aquarium heater. I usually keep the water around 78 degrees.

I feel you about the tank size.
Try testing your tap water and test the water after conditioner (before adding it to the tank) to double check.
Always test the water you conditioned before adding to tank (ofc u need to wait 20 min before adding it to the tank) because sometimes the amount you are following is not enough or too much...

Guppy in my tank is impossible, they always die, they are not strong fish like livebearer. So the water parameters are the most important

Well, now, let's talk about the oxygen, u have a few plants that are taking nutrients from the water, co2 and others, so take in consideration that it could be damaging the parameters for your fish.

Keep cleaning your tank with weekly water changes and dont overfeed. 5 male guppy and 3 cory can be a lot for a siletstream filter to take, i have a 40g filter for my 20g tank and I still doing some weekly water changes sometimes.

Your tank is good, just check the plants roots, leafs, coloration...they also can demonstrate your water parameters harmony.

You will be good, maybe some improved gear for the tank

Back
Top Bottom