sick neon tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

lyric112209

Aquarium Advice Activist
Well I've gone from 8 fish to 4...probably 3 soon...I've treated my tetras for ich and just recently fin rot....I'm on day 3 of meds but they're not eating...and I know its My fault being new at this...I didn't get a nitrite test kit and put 8 fish in after 2 weeks...I know big mistake. Now my fish are slowly dying off...I've come to the conclusion that my tank didn't complete its cycle....so if all my fish die should I just start all over? 100% water change and all that? If some survive how long does it take for the tank to be cycled?

Agh man that sucks its ok though almost everyone goes through this stuff in the beginning. Your tank won't cycle with out a ammonia source (fish waste or pure ammonia added to the water) those are your two choices to start a cycle. I suggest fish in that's what I do but it can harm the fish if done improperly. let me know if you need any help with anything at all either pm me or right in this thread. Good luck don't let it get you down just learn a little more about cycling and you will get it

Also you prob have high ammonia or nitrites in your water right now big huge water changes are what you need to do now to help the fish you have make sure you add declorinater to your water first

Well I'm hoping some of my fish survive this fin rot thing...only time will tell but say some make it through and I do a fish in cycle....how long does it usually take to cycle with fish....I bought a ph, ammonia and nitrate test kits....didn't realize I needed the nitrite too...picking one up in a few days....I can see there's a little ammonia in the water and no nitrates which I've heard there should be some nitrates if your tank is cycled right? Its kind of frustrating but I don't want to give up

I just did a 50% water change...should I be doing them everyday? Every other day?

How big is your tank? I did a fish in and did a 50% every other day but tested the days I didn't just to make sure the ammonia didn't get high but I'm sure someone else can give better advice I've only had mine running 4 months.

K thanks for the advice...I hope I can save the fish that are left!

Back
Top Bottom