Sick pleco

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

eldfleming

Aquarium Advice Newbie
We have a freshwater tank about 50-55 gallons with m a plecostomus that’s at least 12-13 years old. Over the last few days, a nasty sore has appeared on either side. It seems to be rapidly progressing (tried to attach pic). The fish’s activity levels have decreased as well.

Our tank is cleaned (with water exchange) approximately every 4-6 weeks. Last clean was ~2 weeks ago.

Our only other fish are angelfish. We have 4. I have noticed some white spots on their fins (see pic). I thought maybe it was ich. The spots have not progressed though.

The person who cleans our tank thinks maybe gill flukes. Our vet is stumped, but is thinking of getting a skin scraping. Would appreciate any insight regarding diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Thank you!

Attachments

• B17AB596-FAAD-464F-A15A-AEB1F1528D76.jpg
    B17AB596-FAAD-464F-A15A-AEB1F1528D76.jpg
    240.6 KB · Views: 48
  • F7FDDF6B-D2B6-4C0C-A245-271EBECC650F.jpg
    F7FDDF6B-D2B6-4C0C-A245-271EBECC650F.jpg
    199.4 KB · Views: 34
Can't speak about the Plevo but that definitely looks like Ick on the Angels

We have a freshwater tank about 50-55 gallons with m a plecostomus that’s at least 12-13 years old. Over the last few days, a nasty sore has appeared on either side. It seems to be rapidly progressing (tried to attach pic). The fish’s activity levels have decreased as well.

Our tank is cleaned (with water exchange) approximately every 4-6 weeks. Last clean was ~2 weeks ago.

Our only other fish are angelfish. We have 4. I have noticed some white spots on their fins (see pic). I thought maybe it was ich. The spots have not progressed though.

The person who cleans our tank thinks maybe gill flukes. Our vet is stumped, but is thinking of getting a skin scraping. Would appreciate any insight regarding diagnosis and appropriate treatment. Thank you!
The pleco honestly looks like it has a flesh wound, pleco's like to have multiple hiding spots to chill through the day, could there be any sharp objects that it could have scraped itself against on accident

Back
Top Bottom