Sick swordtails

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mwe_ch

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So, two weeks before a house move (early May) and imminent stress, I notice that two of my three my adult swords (and not the two fry) have what I thought was ich. I immediately slowly raised the temperature and left it there for two weeks. With a move upcoming I didn't want to try putting anything in the water as I was going to do frequent small water changes leading up to the move. The ich disappeared quickly but before the fish had time to recuperate, exactly two weeks since I raised the temperature, we moved house. I asked myself if they would survive.

On aquarium move day, I was able to do a water change and then later that day siphon all 40l of the water out into a large opaque insulated cooler (e.g. coleman type), move the fish into the cooler as well as the plants, drop in some oxy tabs and then drive the fish over to the new house, 1km away. After less than two hours I had the tank back up and running and all the stuff back in the tank.

A few days later though, the female who hadn't had fry started being agressive to the other swords. Then it looked like those two had fin rot, the female also having a few white spots on her fins (but did not look like ich). I immediately took the agressor out of the tank and transferred her into my larger 220l tank (where she's been now for awhile and is doing fine). I went to the pet shop here in Switzerland and they suggested FURANOL2 (not knowing what any of the fish diseases are in French I described what was going on in French and this is what was suggested, I've since googled it but can only find sites in German!).

In any event, I treated for 5 days (sans carbon) and then reintroduced the carbon and did a large water change. In those 5 days, one of the baby fry started nipping at her mother and biting away the whiteness around what I thought was the fin rot. Eventually eating through. The female's fin rot since looks better, and white spots disappeared at first, but a single spot has reappeared on each pectoral fin since.

I left the tank without FURANOL2 for a day (as fish seemed better but not best) and then did another dose (the instructions said you could do another 5 day dose after the first). The male then started getting lethargic and his back started arching. At the end of those five days I did another water change and reintroduced carbon and added JBL Acclimol for improved immune response and Denitrol to reintroduce good bacteria. I didn't want to do another treatment as the instructions didn't say anything about a third dose. I have been doing small water changes/gravel siphoning every few days since (there's hardly any debris in the gravel!), but there doesn't seem to be any improvement.

The two adults, in fact, are still sick, if not worse. They both hide or float near the bottom of the tank. The female looks healthier than she did when I first suspected fin rot, but she's still lethargic. She seems to be eating. The male, however, I am not sure is eating and is getting skinnier and skinnier. And his back is arching. Which I suspect is from not eating rather than from TB or something else. The fry seem ok (except they get distended stomachs when I give brine shrimp treats as they eat it up so fast!) but I think they eat all the food so I've also put some sinking Novo tablets in for the adults to try to get from the tank bed. Oh, the male also has globulet-like poo now. It doesn't look like worms but it could be from the fact he's not eating, who knows.

I have no where to put the fry (I think they'll get eaten by someone in the bigger tank) so I have not separated them. The idea was to separate out the two adults and put into my larger tank and leave the fry in the 40l tank until they were big enough to transfer also, and then use the small tank as a quarantine, but that idea is currently on hold while I get the sickness under control!

Any ideas? The ich 5 weeks ago was clearly ich, since it disappeared almost immediately with a temperature hike, but the stress from the ich and the move thereafter obviously meant they were immuno-depressed so got something else. I don't just want to treat with more meds when I don't know what's going on. I thought about salt, but as I am in Switzerland and packaging is in French/German, I don't know what to buy and now I don't know if they are strong enough to withstand it. Table salts here have both iodine and fluoride so I am not going that route.

I'm not sure if it's euthanasia time or if there is something else to try. I don't like seeing them suffer. All the products are European with German, French or Italian packaging and I am used to the Canadian brands, so it's a maze to figure out when things go wrong.

Oh, the tank is a 40l 3-in-one by JEBO with natural coloured gravel and a few plants. I removed the plants that weren't doing well when we moved house.

Thanks.

-M

P.S. I haven't been able to take a good photo otherwise I'd post one.

Can you get Melafix and Pimafix there? I wonder if it is a fungus?
When you were taking out and replacing the carbon, was it brand new carbon each time, or the same one you used before?

New carbon. I'll have to check what the active ingredients are in Melafix and Pimafix and see if I can find equivalents..

Pimafix~
Treats cotton-like fungal infections, and both internal and external bacterial infections. PimaFix harnesses the unique antifungal and antibacterial properties of the West Indian Bay Tree (Pimenta racemosa) for a safe and natural remedy; prevents the development of resistant strains of disease-causing organisms.

Melafix~
Contains the natural botanical extract from the Tea Tree (Melaleuca), an excellent alternative to resistant strains of bacteria that are unaffected by traditional medications. Treats bacterial infections such as red ulcers, fin and tail rot, cloudy eyes, mouth fungus, and others in as little as 4 days. Also heals open wounds, ulcers, and damaged fins. Doesn't affect pH; safe for invertebrates.

Hmm.. I have some pure tea tree oil upstairs... After a quick google I've found out on another fishy forum that I can treat with that. 1 drop per gallon.

I woke up this morning and saw the two fish in the middle of the the tank, light off. Light on, both went to the bottom. Turned it off again, they are in the middle. Any "light sensitive" illnesses in fish?

Off to try the tea tree oil.

Tried the tea tree oil... nothing. Happened. So, I went to the fish store Friday (4 June) and asked for different products. I was given vitamins and something called Prevention+. After a water change, tried those. It made all 4 swords (including healthy fry) sit at the bottom! So this morning, I did another water change and tested water chemistry. I also turned off the built-in filter (figuring the furanol and tea tree oil killed anything good anyway) and introduced a filter from a healthy tank to re-start cycling process.

On stick strip everything ok. So I did an Ammonia and PH test.. pretty ok. I will test for Nitrite and Nitrate tomorrow.

After the water change, I also added aquarium salt. The two fry perked up within a few hours, but still resting a bottom a lot. I'm gonna leave it until tomorrow and see what happens. Will also feed less (or not at all for a bit).

Incidentally, the plants in this tank are doing well, does that give clues to what's up?

My poor fish!

The tea tree oil should not have killed your bacteria, which is why most of us use the Mela and Pima fix. I hope the salt works!

Thanks, the furanol2 would have though and combined with the teatree oil, and then the junk the LFS gave me, I think I crashed their systems.

The salt + the bacteria from the other filter seems to be working... they are more lively than they were, but still not great at eating... I'll keep everyone posted!

wow thats rotten luck your having, if your too worried about your fry, you could always get a larger style breeder trap and place the fry in there, placed in the larger tank, until the 40l tank is all better, they shouldnt mind it too bad in there, so long as there is constant water flow through it. i had placed a ruby shark in one for a good 3 months before moving it to my bigger tank. and he was fine throughout the whole process.

Yeah.. after a water change the female is sick again, hovering at the bottom. Sigh. I just don't want them to suffer!

As for the fry, I think soon they could fend for themselves in the other tank, but I don't want to chance moving the sickness over with them into the other tank. I was going to wait 6 weeks once fish better to start moving, but I might be forced to move sooner. Ack! I'll just have to wait to see what happens after today's water change. Poor little fishies!

Just wanted to say that once the swords that were unhealthy in the 40l were on the mend, I moved them one-by-one (fry first) from the 40l tank (where I think they were overcrowded) into the 230l tank. Since moving them, they've all recovered.

A female platy that was being chased by my lone male black ruby barb in the 230l tank finally broke down from the stress of it all and developed pop-eye. So I moved her into the 40l tank to quarantine her from the others. After two weeks of intensive trying, I decided it was time to euthanise her. I wish I had had the time to do so as today she died. She's now gone to the toilet up in the sky.

The water parameters on both tanks were always good, though PH always high (out of tap it's 8), but the kH and gH levels indicated it was steady at 8/8.5 so I didn't worry too much. Nitrite and Ammonia always at Zero.

I am going to totally dismantle and sterilise the 40l and use it only to QT new/sick fish in the future.

The good news is that so far, after moving two tanks, I've only lost one fish (after about 8 weeks in new location), so I'm pretty happy about that.

Fingers crossed and touching/knocking on wood that the others remain healthy.

Here are the others, btw:
http://aqadvisor.com/AquStockImage.p...201004011154:0

Back
Top Bottom