Small hole in new Betta's fins..

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

minihorses4ever

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today I got a new male Betta, and after I released him into his tank, I realized he has a small hole (or like a very small tear) in one of his fins. He is from one of those little cups with the blue water, so I figure he hasn't had the best of care.. He is however very active and healthy looking otherwise. I was wondering if with clean and proper water conditions and a good diet, will this just heal on its own? Or do I need to do something else to help it? Thanks!

Yes, clean water and a good diet. It is probably the start of fin rot, and one of my bettas had the same thing. It looked like a little pin hole, and I keep his water clean and it went away. You will be amazed at how fast their fins can grow back!
Congrats on your new baby!

Those are usually from flaring at the other fish. Keep the water clean and high protein food will make it heal. I usually keep my bettas in a large bowl 2 gallon for a few weeks to keep a very close eye on them, I have found a couple of hours of morning sun really makes them heal faster.

Thanks! I checked him this morning and it already looks smaller... It's amazing how just a clean home for one day can help! :)

Maby clean your tank daily for a few days, make sure no sharp/jagged objects are in your tank, such as Rocks. Also maby feed him some treats (Use a search engine to search for food treats), and prahaps use clorine killers in his tank whenever you clean it.

No, don't change his diet too much. You can feed him a few bloodworms and some boiled, de-shelled peas once a week, but keep his staple pellets. And with clean water, you will see his fins heal, like you already are. The water they are in in the pet store is disgusting, as I am sure you saw. :)
If your tank is 5G or smaller, you should chage 50% of the water twice a week. If it's bigger, you can just change it 50% once a week.

Back
Top Bottom