somebody please help my catfish!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

juliepat

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I posted a message earlier today saying that my catfish's tail is disappearing. About 4 hours ago, there was a bit left on top, but since then I've kept an eye on him, and his tail (what's left) is just disintegrating! It's splitting up lengthwise and coming off in strings.

He only has one string left, before he has no tail at all. it seems every time he moves, more of his tail comes off.

I've treated the tand for fungus, but it's not working. I'm terrified this is going to travel up his body, and his body will come apart in strings!!!

somebody please please help! If you have ANY CLUE at all what it is, or what to do...please let me know!
thanks.
Julie

There may not be much you can do at this point. I'd try a broad spectrum antibiotic on him. Be sure to remove the carbon from the filter as it will remove the medication as fast as you put it in. It does sound like fin rot. Did you remove the carbon when you added the anti fungal?
Logan J

I thought fin rot/tail rot starts at the end of the tail, and works it's way up. I thought tail rot caused a jagged edge too. I could be wrong.

yeah, I took the carbon out of the filter when I gave them the medicine. I guess if that's all I can do, then I'll just have to wait and see. I just feel so so bad!!

thanks for your help. Julie

Back
Top Bottom