Something is wrong

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

megi-lin

Aquarium Advice Freak
Something is wrong with my guppy. She is arched over sometimes. Looks like she has scoliosis. Her tail bone is crooked. And she has changed texture, size, and color. She has gotten much smaller, she is pale, and looks rough rather than smoothe. Any tips?

IMG_20170420_132007163.jpg

Place in quarantine tank.

Also check to make sure water peramitters are within normal limits. Ammonia spikes can cause fish to do that.

If everything is normal, make sure you water has good flow so oxygen can be present in the tank. An air stone can help.

This is the starting point at least.
Hope this helps some

Api test kit to check ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and ph, do a 30% water change, make sure you treat the water you're replacing with prime or a good water conditioner if you can get prime I would highly recommend it if you don't have it already, the api master liquid test kit you can get accurate readings where strips do not, the api master liquid test kit is a bit pricey but in my personal opinion it is an absolute must have, make sure the water is temperature matched abd treated before putting it back into the tank, it could be fish tuberculosis but bad water parameters can also cause it so test your water, do a 30% water change treated with prime if you have it if not use a good water conditioner turn the lights off to reduce stress from the water change.

I have done 2-50% changes in 1 week. She has just gotten much worse. She's so small. I think she's going to die. No other fish is acting funny. I'm away from home right now and my family is taking care of my fish. But I'm home periodically. Poor Louise. White poop too.

Well, I had to euthanize her. She was wrapped around the filter tube. No hope. She got to be less than half her adult size. She was so colorless. I wasn't going to be home when she died so I euthanized her. Didn't want her to die in the tank and cause an ammonia spike.

Sorry to hear that. Sometimes you'll get one that is just too dainty to live, it sucks but it happens :/

It was so sad. Her name was Louise after my friend. She was the smaller fish and my friend is shorter than me. So I had Thelma and Louise.

Back
Top Bottom