Spots on Blue Ram

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jllapin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just noticed these white spots on my blue ram, can anyone help me out with what they might be. They were not there yesterday.

Attachments

• 20141008_200445.jpg
    20141008_200445.jpg
    205.8 KB · Views: 82
I introduced some Amano shrimp about 30 minutes ago, could ich have spread from them that fast? How should I treat it? Its only a 5 gallon nano tank so I don't want to do anything too drastic. I read turning the heat up to 80-82 degrees for a week can do the trick. Any other advice?

so youre saying when you added the shrimp your ram had none of these symptoms and then 30 minutes later looked like that?? that is odd. hopefully they really are just bubbles. take a real close look and make sure it isnt something like that before you treat as ich...but it sure does look like ich in that photo and it would not appear that quickly from the shrimp.

that fish really needs more than a 5. probably quite stressed out which is why the ich came about (assuming that is what it is). how long have you had the ram? ich lives in 3 stages, first in the substrate, then a free swimming stage, then it gets into the host and causes what appear like white grains of sand peppering the skin/fins. these burst and then you have more free swimming ich that will seek a host and continue the cycle. raising the temps is effective. i would also do water changes to reduce the number of free swimming ich. i would slowly raise the temp to at least 82, up to 86, dont raise it that high all at once. keep it there until you see no visible ich, and then wait an additional 5 days or so before dropping the temps back down. you may also want to run an airstone during this time. then i would rehouse the ram and maybe add a betta.

Back
Top Bottom