Spotted Puffer Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kotogoddess

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Currently I have four small spotted puffers that are exhibiting signs of Ick(the white spots) however they also seem to be secreting a white mucus that is filling up the tank. Is is not hanging on them but just floating around in the tank. The puffers keep going to the surface like they are gasping for air. They are eating normally thus far but have slightly swollen bellies. My boyfriend just recently gave them some crawfish that were caught out of a ditch...could it be a parasite or bacteria that has gotten into their intestines from the crawfish?
pH level is 7.5

I would not feed them crays from a ditch as this could bring parasites in but that wouldnt cause them to shed in a way. To me it sounds like the ick is irritating there skin and there slime coat are shedding off. I would just treat the ich and see. Also i would switch to snails as it is easy to feed. If you want to feed food from a ditch i would quarantine it for a week and look for parasites. Even though a occasional 1 is not bad, just as a treat straight out of the canal. Just look for signs of pollution when you collect as that is a bad spot to do it from. And when you post parameters that is a good idea and makes things a ton easier but it would even be better to post your ammonia, nitrites, and nitrates.

Back
Top Bottom