Swordtail fish had cottonmouth. Does she still do?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

insanegirl

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello everyone,

I got a swordfish who gave birth two weeks ago. A day later got cotton mouth I separated her in a smaller tank and gave her special vitamins and put salt in her smaller tank for a week and a half. She is now eating again and is hyper and swimming around. However, once I put her in the big tank again I notice she got something still white in her lips. Could it be a scar from cotton mouth?? Or does she still have it? ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419142091.246228.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419142121.942019.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419142136.300709.jpgImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1419142150.722807.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Looking at those I would say still has it. I've had it fade and come back and fade again. If you can see anything above the lips then it is still there. Would QT.

How long does it normally take for it to go away? What were u giving the fish for it to go away. I am just putting salt because I had really bad experience with meds.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

The success I had was with triple sulpha. From memory a week or so to go. But kanaplax and furan 2 together are your best bet.

I'd put back in QT until sorted. Salt and vitamins are fine and will help.

What med were you using that gave trouble?

Edit - to get it to go can be a lot of pain, especially in a warmer than normal tank. It will survive for a month or so in an empty tank.

Back
Top Bottom