tank disinfect??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvanv

Aquarium Advice Regular
I lost the last of my four dwarf platies today. I treated them with Pimafix only since I didn't want to get too technical. My tank is now empty and I would like to know how to disinfect it before putting other fish in it. Do I need to do a tear down and how about the filter material? I don't know what was the problem but it looked like a fungal thing.

If you want to tear it down and disinfect you can use a bleach solution of 10%, rinse very well and use dechlorinator. Your cycle will be destroyed and you will have to start over with your cycle. Since you don't know what the problem is one option you can do is to turn the temp up in the tank to 88 and leave it there for 2 weeks to ensure no parasites. After 2 weeks most things in the tank will die, keep feeding the tank to ensure the cycle keeps going. You could also keep adding pimafix and melafix to be safe. Entirely your choice either way, you will be looking at 2 weeks minimum to add fish, fishless cycling can take several weeks.

I will try raising the temp for the 2 weeks and adding the Melafix and Pimafix. How do I keep feeding the tank? Just by adding food daily? I have never done this before but would like to try it. Thank you for the info.

That stuff may have killed off your beneficial bacteria. You may have to recycle your tank anyways. I would run some GAC to remove the meds, or if you want to remake (or go "saltie"...lol..) your tank you can do as Anne suggests. Feeding will keep the beneficial bacteria alive.

Sorry roka64 but the reason I used the Pimafix is that it is all natural and would not affect my biological fliter or alter pH. I don't like to use those heavy duty meds. I will gladly wait two or three weeks before restocking.

Yeah, I am a little sceptical about stuff that kills bacteria (seeing as how the beneficial bacteria is a bacteria)...lol!

I agree with you about that......we work too long to get the good bacteria to then just kill it........the balance can be touchy...and I don't like to do things in a hurry without some research.

You can keep an ammonia source in the tank by adding fish food OR adding an uncooked raw shrimp. The shrimp will give you more of a biofilter than fish food. Keep testing your parameters to make sure you're cycled (or if starting a new cycle, where you are in it), then when you're ready to add fish, remove the shrimp. I think you probably won't see another cycle, or if you do it will be very short. :)

Thanks for all the help. I will be adding an ammonia source. I do think I should still be treating the tank with Pimafix and Melafix since I don't know what caused the four fish to die. Right?

Back
Top Bottom