Tea tree oil almost killed every fish in my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sunscream13

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have 2 Angel fish and the one angel was having fin issues caused by the other one nipping them so I read that tea tree oil would help so I followed the direction I found which was 1/8 teaspoon per gallon so I added it and immediately all my fish started acting weird like they were suffocating, my one pleco even tried jumping out so I removed all my fish and put them in my bigger 75 gallon tank and did 2 big water changes and replaced the filters. Any thoughts on this?

It's oil. Shouldn't add oil to water with fish in. Imo. Take the nipper out and keep the tank clean they will heal up. If you get rid of the source of the problem. The problem will be solved. Adding stuff to the tank to fix something that will always be there is just a waste of time. Yeah, you might fix it for a minute but, it's gonna happen again. Just say'n.

It's oil. Shouldn't add oil to water with fish in. Imo. Take the nipper out and keep the tank clean they will heal up. If you get rid of the source of the problem. The problem will be solved. Adding stuff to the tank to fix something that will always be there is just a waste of time. Yeah, you might fix it for a minute but, it's gonna happen again. Just say'n.
I guess I got some bad advice but the nipper is the other Angel and I think they are fighting a little bit for dominance since they're the same size and now mature. The tank now is very clean and will have to be recycled. All my fish survived and are in my 75 gallon tank. Thank God

Did you mix in the water after you added it ..
You followed the directions to a T...
What size tank ?
What brand?
Did you shake it up before using... ?
I would not use or recommend the product but like Brook think the re action should not have been so dramatic.

Did you mix in the water after you added it ..
You followed the directions to a T...
What size tank ?
What brand?
Did you shake it up before using... ?
I would not use or recommend the product but like Brook think the re action should not have been so dramatic.
The brand was nature's truth. The directions I found was 1/8 teaspoon per gallon and then mix it around with a net. It's a 40 gallon tall that had 2 angels 2 adult bn plecos a couple khuli loaches.

Back
Top Bottom