Ten gallon wiped out, mystery snail only survivor

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Kuramanara

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey everyone!

My ten gallon that had a beta, a few Cory's and a few celestial danios got wiped out in two days by what I'm guessing is a bacterial thing, I had administered medicine the first day I saw symptoms but whatever it was hit them hard fast.

Anyways, what I need help with is what to do with the snail. I have it in a separate tank for now while I disinfect the main tank. Is there a way I can make sure the snail is healthy? My plan is to move the inhabitants of my five gallon (a beta and an African dwarf frog) into the ten once it's disinfected and cycled. How can I make sure my snail won't pass on whatever killed the other fish so I can put him in with them? Any help is appreciated. Thank you in advance.

Hi and welcome to the forum :)

Can you describe the symptoms the fish had before you treated them and after you treated them?

What medication did you use?

Did you work out exactly how much water was in the tank before treating them?
Aquariums are regularly sold as 10 gallon, 20 gallon, etc, but they don't normally hold that much water.

Was the aquarium filter cycled?
What was the ammonia, nitrite, nitrate and pH of the water?
What sort of filter is on the tank?
How often and how do you clean the filter?

How long was the tank set up for?
How often do you do water changes and how much do you change?
Do you gravel clean the substrate when you do a water change?

How long did you have the fish for?
Did you add anything to the tank in the 2 weeks before this started?

---------------------

Without knowing what the problem was, it's difficult to say whether the snail will transfer anything across to another aquarium. If it was a water quality issue, then the snail won't transfer anything into a new tank. However, if it was a bacterial or protozoan infection, it could.

The best thing would be to quarantine the snail for a month. It's already in with a frog so leave it there for a month and then it should be ok to move assuming the frog is ok after that time.

Back
Top Bottom