This one's a scarer (Fish TB+Dropsy+Popeye+???)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Neuve

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ok so ive got this 10g tetra tank.
Mhh like a month ago i had two flame tetras with dropsy... Started feeding veggies (peas, zuccini and lettuce) and flakes but in a cup with water so the dryness wouldnt hurt em... Things got better

Today i was changing my water and checking params:
pH 7.0 (community acuarium)
no ammonia
seeing the last of the ites spike 0.5

and i noticed three of my tetras having dropsy (with the scales like pointing outwards, weird swimming, SWOLLEN belly...) and besides they have popped eyes and, as theyre body is almost see thru, i noticed like an internal bleeding on them... Right behind their belly.

I read an article about fish tb (tubercolosis) being known to cause all of this...
So first off i went and washed my hands like stupid...
then i logged in to AA.com and here I am, in search for help
TIA
Id appreciate any post, even one for comfort.
Pato

Nueve, so sorry to hear about all of this! I had a similar situation a few months ago but when I found out, it was already too late... :( . I have never heard of fish tb, but could be a possibility as dropsy is a side effect of internal organ failure and illness, when the organs shut down and the body fills up with fluids. If you have any fish who aren't that bad yet, move them to a hospital tank (if you have one) and treat with fungus medicine and some(a little amount) aquarium salt. I have had Spectacular results with Jungle's Fungus Clear Tablets, you can pick them up almost anywhere, I got mine from Wal-mart! It may not be too late yet, but chances are if they are bleeding inside like you said, they will only be around a couple days at most.. :( Sorry to hear again, and hope things turn out well!

Thanx Devilishturtles i really appreciate your help. Since I live in mexico almost al fish med's are generic, but ill be looking for some fungus medicine. Im afraid of treating the whole tank (the sickness has infected 1/3 of my tank) beacause it took it really long to cycle. Im gonna buy another 10 gal tank (you can get a good one for $10-$) and set it up as a hospital tank. I was going to buy a 30-50 gal one to set it up as the primary tank but i guess that will hafta wait...
Do you have any idea of what the active substances are in those Jungle's Fungus Clear Tablets?
Thanx thanx and more thanx
Pato

Aw bummer Pato :(

Lets see what we can do. First off I'm pretty sure your tetras have some sort of bacterial infection, and likely not piscine TB. Its serious, as its reached the point their internal organs are shutting down (hence the dropsy) and theres now a systemic infection (the septicemia - the blood you see). Are they still eating? If so, you need to get them some medicated food ASAP. Jungle makes one called Pepso, and this place sells it although I don't know if they ship to Mexico: http://www.flguppiesplus.com/_wsn/page3.html . You can also try making your own if you can find the medication: http://www.fishdoc.co.uk/treatments/medicatedfood.htm . If they aren't eating, you'll have to use antibiotics which are added to the tank; although its not as effective as internal medication you need to do something. Look for ones with oxytetracycline if you can find em.

You can also use epsom salts in conjunction with the antibiotics to help reduce the swelling. 1/8 teaspoon of Epsom salt for every 1 gallons of water and monitor for two weeks may help as well.

HTH

Yep, they eat anything theyll find, thats why im having extra work keeping water crystal clear... I've sent a mail to luis@flguppiesplus.com to ask him about my order his name is luis so maybe he will help me being a latino LOL here in mexico the only food you can find are brine shrimp, water fleas, bloodworms, and flakes from tetra and wardley... No mexican producers for medicated food. Im having trouble (also) finding the translation for Epsom salts but when i find them ill be the happiest man alive becuz ive been looking for it like crazy.
If theres no reply from Luis by tomorrow ill go and look for the oxytetracyclined meds.

Magnesium Sulfate. Thats easier, since i give maintenance for the aquarium @ school (its in the biology lab) i think i can ask my teacher or the laboratorist for a little dose, I think 5 teaspoons will do for the treatment, (like 10 gal = 2 1/4 teaspons for two weeks) It really helped
(This is what i found about the formula: http://www.webelements.com/webelements/compounds/text/Mg/Mg1S1-12032369.html Lets get to work...

Thanx Alliv. IOU1

Active ingredients in the fungus clear are nitrofurazone, furazolidone, and potassium dichromate. The tablets are really good for reaching all areas of your tank so you should be ok to add it, but I understand your concern. Setting up a 10 gal hospital tank sounds like a winner to me. Good luck with everything again!

This is what i got in return:

Thanks for the interest in our flakes. We have 3 types
of med flakes-
bacteria($3/4oz.)
protazoan($3.75/4oz.)
deworm($3.75/4oz.)
Which is the one you need.

Shipping Airmail letter post is $2.05 for a 4 oz.
package.

I know i should buy bacteria, you told me. But how much oz. should i buy? i work in metric and besides i dunno if i should change the diet for sick ones.

Plus, should I give them to the whole tank? or go on and set my QT up?
And second plus, should i give both treatments? the water meds and the flake meds? would it be safe?
Thanx
Pato

Back
Top Bottom