Trapped Under Rock - Lost Tail

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

theotheragentm

Aquarium Advice Addict
I came home tonight to a fish that was in between some rocks. She wasn't moving out of the rocks, but I know fish do this sometimes. When I fed the fish and still didn't see her movie out, I decided to move the rocks a bit. When I moved the rock, she swam out, but it was quite apparent she had last most of her tail and was scraped up on her tail.

img_780195_0_71f3fc762168a170658c20e441692606.jpg

img_780195_1_e16b9a402d78481e65c0ddb0be123b70.jpg

Sorry, I don't have better pictures.

Do you think her tail will grow back? As you can see, although a bit blurry, the translucent part of her tail is completely gone. You can see her head is a bit white and scraped up, probably from trying to escape the rocks.

What else can I do? :(

Clean water, melafix and pimafix are my fin regrowth trifecta. QT would be advisable as well and makes for easier repeated pwc to keep water pristine.

I agree with Apocalypse_Gold. With clean water and mela/pimafix, the tail should grow back. Good thing you moved the rocks.

Yeah, she's already in a separate tank. I will start medicinal treatment soon.

I still haven't had time to pick up medications. She is in a 10-gallon by herself with some fry in a net breeder. She seems to be swimming just fine now, much less lopsided and struggled, but I will keep an eye on her.

Update: It's been just over a week. The tail has grown in nicely. and will probably be full grown in another week.

excellent =). That kind of injury to that degree can be very hard to recover from. I am impressed, you must have very good husbandry.

I am sad to say I found this fish stuck to the filter intake tonight when I came home late. I checked the water and everything was clean. It may have just been something that she never recovered from fully from the accident. I am a bit bummed, but I feel like I did everything I could in providing a good environment for the fish.

Back
Top Bottom