Treating viral infections with antibiotics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Delapool

AA Member
Site Team
While looking to bomb a tank, came across this. Right down the bottom above the ‘100g’ it says it will treat some of the larger virus’s.

Attachments

• IMG_0800.jpg
    IMG_0800.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 83
This on viruses ;

Antibiotics do not fight infections caused by viruses like colds, flu, most sore throats, and bronchitis. Even many sinus and ear infections can get better without antibiotics.

and

For most viral infections, treatments can only help with symptoms while you wait for your immune system to fight off the virus. Antibiotics do not work for viral infections. There are antiviral medicines to treat some viral infections. Vaccines can help prevent you from getting many viral diseases.

I am not convinced we would be able to diagnose properly to know what if any antibiotic could help actually with viral infection . Possibly some have had success just treating a secondary infection in a already weak patient ?

Could well be to on secondary infection. I've never found much (will file this under optimistic product labelling again). We had a big discussion on one of the state forums where everything was getting blamed on viral at one stage but nothing new / nothing came to light. Was a little surprised when I saw it as our product labelling is meant to be pretty tight (meant to be I guess).

IMO, that medication is likely "Snake oil". There is no known medication that eradicates fish viruses, "Lymphocystis". You guys know that the only way to treat L cystis, is clean water, quality nutrition, water conditioners that promote slime coat production, patience and time.
Maybe someday.

Not much we can do, just like Microsporazon parasites in the wild, fish populations just have to surive and adapt.
Survival of the fittest in our own little aquarium sometimes
Okay i admit I'm in a survival of the fittest phase myself lol

Yes, true. I always find impressive the stories of fish over a decade old. Lost two recently - not infection, just jumped out :(

Haha, thats funny. I mean its a bummer and Sorry to hear it but.. jumped out!!!
That's more like survival of the smartest.

Yeah, yoyo loaches are the worse for it. Lost a few bucks as had these sold to. But with water level just below tank rim, oh well.

Back
Top Bottom