Treating with melafix...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Interloper

Aquarium Advice Regular
It's a quick question...so have a angel fish that's back tail is a little messed up...so I'm treating with melafix....

Now my question is...can I keep the carbon filter media in a tub with some tank water so it doesn't dry until he is healed or should I just buy another filter insert...it's one of those lame aqueon all in one filter pad things...the whole reason is that I don't wanna lose the bacteria...if its gonna die in a week anyways I'll just buy a new one

Depends. How long have you had this cartridge? They are pieces of garbage & trying to slit them to dump out the carbon is almost impossible. It can be done though! If the cartridge is more than a few weeks old, just leave it be in the filter. What little carbon is in them is past its prime anyway & wont have any effect. If its newer, take scissors & carefully cut the pouch areas open & dump it out. The aqueons have lots of 'empty' space in their filter housings-I would suggest finding other media (such as filter foam/sponges) to add to give your bb some more room to grow. :)

Milafix

You know milafix is just 1% tee tree oil 99% water then treat as you would with milafix , as for the carbon base filter if it's only under 3 weeks old run a air stone to the bottom of the filter not attached to the tank this will keep the good bactierier alive it will act as it is still running in the tank but you will have to put at least a spoung filter in the tank Mabie 2 depending on how big the tank after a week hook back up to normal and you should be right

Back
Top Bottom