Unhealthy angelfish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fryer

Aquarium Advice Regular
Noticed today that one of my angels isn't well noticed one had clear poop yesterday so started my dose of seachems paraguard 3 days ago and noticed today that an angels fin had gone missing or broken half way down the ventral fin anyone have any ideas also one of my angels passed away 4 days ago who was doing fine think it's was my mate or female of which breed. Tested water before treatment and ph 6.8 ammonia nitrate and nitrite 0. Also yesterday I lost a black corydora for no apparent reason need help ASAP

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Well since that post I done a about 50 litre change and angle fish acting weird then about 3 days later I found a dead black cory I was fuming so ripped the tank apart from plants to deco found a dead and furry tetra was fuming that I didn't find it when I done a water change before then I done a 100 litre change then 2 days later as in yesterday I had a dead female electric blue ram and a dead cardinal tetra then done another 100 litres as ammonia was 0.25 nitrites and nitrates 0 think I've lost some bacteria in the filter due to me dosing with parasite meds

Ammonia does seem up a little but at ph 6.8 should be mostly ammonium. Nitrates are odd at 0 but I know they can be possible with plants and large pwc's. Do you have temperature as well? Any signs on the fish when they go? Are you seeing anything on the scales or fins? Any changes recently to stocking or the tank?

The number of fish going makes me suspect a bacterial infection - could that be possible?

Yea think it's because the fish were dead for a few hours temp is 26. Since having my tank nitrates have always been low as even out of the tap it's 0 my ram had clamped tail fin and the angel fish fin is like this it's worn badly they've had paraguard ImageUploadedByTapatalk1405433199.056277.jpg

Is that on the top fin?

Is the paraguard making any difference? It looks all right particularly for ich with MG and whatever aldehydes, probably fungus as well - not sure how it would go with full blown bacterial infections. Can you source any aquarium antibiotics where you are?

Temperature looks all right, has it spiked recently? Or anything that could of set this off? Added any fish?

Added 2 angel fish and 2 apsito's about same size as my current ones 3 inch. Hottest the temp has been is 27. The angel fish is more active now lost my smallest angel due to the idiot swap into a pot I got which is about the same size as him and he got stuck and when he came out he was half dead as the current was making him roll all over the place got him out waited about 30 mins put him back and in and couldn't cope with the current and it was on low as adjusted the filter. Can't get any good meds like only like interpet ones and some api we ain't got the strong ones like in the US

That was taken Saturday the photo now it's got no fuzz on it think the fuzz was the skin that the angel has on the top fin

I also had an unhealthy angel who died this morning. I'm not sure what happened to him but he had red blotches on his 'cheeks'. ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1405443228.485540.jpg Please help:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

My other angel I think will die soon as it's belly is skinny

I also had an unhealthy angel who died this morning. I'm not sure what happened to him but he had red blotches on his 'cheeks'. View attachment 243275 Please help:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Was he flashing at all before hand around the gills? Anything he could of damaged him self on? What are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and temp. What is pwc schedule? Train stopping soon, if all good above then might be bacterial.

I checked my water today after dosing with prime after my water change ammonia 0.25 nitrites 0 nitrates 5ppm. Not sure if there's not enough bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrites then nitrates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That was taken Saturday the photo now it's got no fuzz on it think the fuzz was the skin that the angel has on the top fin

Had to jump off train. I had wondered if that was fungus. Looking ok now on that fin?

Big question I think is if the paraguard is making a difference?

If not is the tank planted? Or can you get API melafix/pimafix?

Steady lot of pwc's will reduce waste organics as you are doing. Also reduce feeding for same reason.

Can you QT the skinny one?

I checked my water today after dosing with prime after my water change ammonia 0.25 nitrites 0 nitrates 5ppm. Not sure if there's not enough bacteria to convert the ammonia to nitrites then nitrates

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Might be rebuilding bacteria - I've got the link at home but that level is ok with that ph and temp. Although not ideal.

Edit - waterlife myxazin I've had success with but they don't say what is in it (apart from MG as it dyes the water). All depend on the paraguard success I guess.

Last edited:
Was he flashing at all before hand around the gills? Anything he could of damaged him self on? What are ammonia, nitrite, nitrate, ph and temp. What is pwc schedule? Train stopping soon, if all good above then might be bacterial.

He looked fine last night but you really can't tell with fish:/ I found my pleco dead too with fungus so I'm treating the ammonia-spiked tank with Pimafix, aquarium salts and a bacterial chemical. I change the water 25% a week. Two weeks ago I had a fish die on me (old age) so I did a 50% change, debris was floating everywhere from god knows what. They seem to be doing fine now, thanks:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

He looked fine last night but you really can't tell with fish:/ I found my pleco dead too with fungus so I'm treating the ammonia-spiked tank with Pimafix, aquarium salts and a bacterial chemical. I change the water 25% a week. Two weeks ago I had a fish die on me (old age) so I did a 50% change, debris was floating everywhere from god knows what. They seem to be doing fine now, thanks:)

Namirah?Canadian, Eh??

Ammonia spike?

Had to jump off train. I had wondered if that was fungus. Looking ok now on that fin?

Big question I think is if the paraguard is making a difference?

If not is the tank planted? Or can you get API melafix/pimafix?

Steady lot of pwc's will reduce waste organics as you are doing. Also reduce feeding for same reason.

Can you QT the skinny one?

No qt tank even tho I really need one my misses don't want me having 2 tanks. The paraguard is helping the angel fish seem to be swimming more and the fin is starting to come back. I know it's gonna prob take longer than it took it to lose it. I know my water is an issue as the rummynose's nose isn't red. Tank isn't planted I can get the api melafix and the other one seen it in pets at home yesterday

I need my ammonia to drop think it's not dropping due to me having used the paraguard to help with the top fin recover and I've lost some of my bacteria I've still got some stability there when I helped when my fishless cycle stalled

No qt tank even tho I really need one my misses don't want me having 2 tanks. The paraguard is helping the angel fish seem to be swimming more and the fin is starting to come back. I know it's gonna prob take longer than it took it to lose it. I know my water is an issue as the rummynose's nose isn't red. Tank isn't planted I can get the api melafix and the other one seen it in pets at home yesterday

Sounds good the paraguard is helping. As that is working then I'd say the melafix/pimafix to stock is up to you and wouldn't bother dosing it.

Can take a bit I've found to get ammonia back to 0 for that last little bit. Extra pwc's will help.

I had some trouble getting QT going. Set it up 'temporary' and now 'permanent' :)

Edit - if it gets worse, then as tank isn't planted using sea salt (NaCl) would also be possible and help as a tonic. I've used 1 (first night) to 3 teaspoons per 5 gallons which has helped (although not cured by itself) and fish have been ok with.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom