Unknown disease in betta

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redver0

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hey! I’m having some trouble with my male betta fish. I noticed three days ago that he wasn’t eating, but I put it off as him eating leftovers in his tank. However, the next day (2 days ago) I noticed some white stringy stuff hanging from his anal area and thought that he may have parasites, so I began medicating with API General Cure & aquarium salt. I have currently dosed his water twice with it and have seen no improvement. He has not eaten or shown interest in food for four days. The white strings have also appeared around the top of his body now. I’m thinking I may have misdiagnosed and it’s bacterial. Should I begin treating for a bacterial disease after the General Cure treatment is done? I’m at a loss on how to get him to eat.

Anchor worms?

Also what is his set up. Tank size/ tankmates/ water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and temp at minimum).

A picture would help, as clear as you can get.

Getting him to eat isn’t the priority. Sick fish don’t feel like eating (do you when you have the flu!) focus on getting him better and the eating will come.

Anchor worms?

Also what is his set up. Tank size/ tankmates/ water parameters (ammonia/nitrite/nitrate and temp at minimum).

A picture would help, as clear as you can get.

Getting him to eat isn’t the priority. Sick fish don’t feel like eating (do you when you have the flu!) focus on getting him better and the eating will come.

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Tank is 4gal, ammonia 0, nitrate/nitrite unknown but I do regular water changes, temp is constantly at 80° exactly. And yeah, I guess the eating thing is true. I just don’t want him to starve to death. It’s been five days almost and I can already see him thinning.

So do you think the white strings could point at parasites? One of the pictures shows a white string along his dorsal fin which is why I was thinking it could be bacterial, since they’re on his body; that and the parasite medication is doing absolutely nothing useful :/

Attachments

• D443DBCF-ED28-4AFA-9AE9-704BCCD95F3D.jpg
    D443DBCF-ED28-4AFA-9AE9-704BCCD95F3D.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 103
  • 57C1CFB2-8D4B-4265-BBEB-4AB173BBBCF7.jpg
    57C1CFB2-8D4B-4265-BBEB-4AB173BBBCF7.jpg
    39.1 KB · Views: 98
  • C466B063-28B4-45D2-BC9E-0EFA40D5D84A.jpg
    C466B063-28B4-45D2-BC9E-0EFA40D5D84A.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 96
What am I looking at in those pictures? Is that a screen shot of a fish that looks similar or is that your post screen shot from another site? Either way the quality is too low for me to see anything in the picture. Can you upload the original picture?

How long and what dosage have you been treating with salt/ general cure.

Back
Top Bottom