What fish to get?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

russrimm

Aquarium Advice Activist
I need recommendations. Our 20 gal is finally finished cycling so we're going to move all the little guys from the 65 gal to the 20 gal. Now i'll need something to put in the 65 gal.

I want something that is small but gets big and has a personality. Something that will fit in a 65 gal with another fish or 2. Is a cichlid my best bet? And what would a good partner for it be? I dont know my fish yet, so I'm looking for suggestions.

Thanks

How many little guys are going from the 65 to the 20?!?

Do you want an aggressive fish? A super large fish like an oscar? A few angels?

Little guys

All the little guys are moving to the 20 I think. 8 danios, 2 CAE, 1 opaline gourami, and 3 serpae tetras.

Are there benefits to having an aggressive fish? Do they have more of a "personality"? Are they more exciting to watch?

I believe those CAEs will get big and should stay in the big tank and you should get tank mates to go with them.

Aggressive fish are not shy, that's for sure! I have an 80 gal African cichlid tank, which is classified as semi-aggressive. They are colorful, full of energy and one of them is killed about once a month :cry: They are a bunch of JERKS!!!! I also have a 50 gal with fish that are 3" or less. This is my favorite tank right now. I have little schools of fish, rams, apistos and real plants! Plus cories, khulis and three small breeds of plecos. The tank is full of life and there is tons of diversity. With the aggressive tank, I have to be VERY careful as to what is added. My last two tries ended up with dead fish. I did everything one is supposed to and it still didn't work out.
Sorry, I am not trying to be bias (although I am right now). The other option, if you like the look of the semi aggressive Africans (Mbuna) is to go with Peacocks. They are from the same lake, but have a different pecking order and aggression is less. There are a ton of fish out there! Look through member's galleries and ask Qs. Also, go to the LFSs and write down your favs, compile a list and we can tell you if they will work with each other. :D

I have a bias...but look into Rainbow fish. They get relatively large and like to be in groups of 5 or more. Plus they seem to have unique personalities, are compatible with most fish and are beautiful.

:)

Back
Top Bottom