What is wrong with his fin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok, yikes. Any thing you have noticed?

Do you have water test results for ammonia, ph, nitrite and nitrates? Could it be water conditions or chemicals accidentally added to tank?

Any changes to tank or fish stocking lately? What was wrong with the fish when they died? How long has tank been set up and is it cycled?

I'd try upping the pwc's now. If water conditions are ok, I would suspect a bacterial infection as first port to check.

Last edited:
They water is perfect other than the .25 ammonia after 2 fish died. I was treating with melafix for bacteria when they died because I noticed the fin problem above. Then 2 days later the gourami and the other rummynose died (the gourami had white lips and head area and the rummynose looked perfectly fine)

Just to point out, what a lot of folks are unaware of, is the toxicity level of ammonia in different pH ranges. Ammonia is toxic at .5 ppm, but when pH is 6.6-6.8 it's not nearly as toxic as when your pH is around 7.6-7.8. You could have .2 ppm with a pH of 8.2 and lose everything. That's why no matter how great your parameters appear today, when you go to work or school or out for whatever and everything was just fine only to return and half your babies floating and not swimming. That's why with smaller tanks things can go downhill so quickly and WC's make all the difference in the world.

Darn forum has been down. Plus one above - the charts are just averages. I've had fish sulking when the ammonia vs ph should of been fine. Did a water change and much better.

I'd suggest a few water change's here just to clear the tank a bit. It sounds like columnaris bacterial infection. The melafix won't do much there. Suggest gram-negative antibacterials and/or tri sulpha. Also lowing temperature below 25C / 77F will slow it down.

Back
Top Bottom