White spots on fins. Ich?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Thyatt123

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just bought two goldfish from my LFS 5 days ago. I have them in a cycled 20 gallon quarantine tank with a AquaClear 30 HOB. Ammonia is 0ppm. Nitrite is 0ppm. Nitrate is barely measurable. The water temp is 75 degrees Fahrenheit with no substrate. I’m also running an air stone. The ph is around 7.4 - 7.6.

Yesterday I noticed the smaller Oranda doing what I think is flashing and rubbing against the side of the tank, kind of violently. Today I noticed white spots on its fins. I think it may be Ich and am going to treat with Ich-X.

Can anyone help ease my mind that this is actually Ich before I start treating? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• C48BFDB3-0277-44CD-B2BC-671368A725A7.jpg
    C48BFDB3-0277-44CD-B2BC-671368A725A7.jpg
    204.5 KB · Views: 157
  • F8FEB66F-9C01-4D11-BA07-8613AC5C87D9.jpg
    F8FEB66F-9C01-4D11-BA07-8613AC5C87D9.jpg
    251.1 KB · Views: 207
Sorry to jump on your post but how do I start a thread? I'm new to this and have a question about my black Moor. Thanks.

I just bought two goldfish from my LFS 5 days ago. I have them in a cycled 20 gallon quarantine tank with a AquaClear 30 HOB. Ammonia is 0ppm. Nitrite is 0ppm. Nitrate is barely measurable. The water temp is 75 degrees Fahrenheit with no substrate. I’m also running an air stone. The ph is around 7.4 - 7.6.

Yesterday I noticed the smaller Oranda doing what I think is flashing and rubbing against the side of the tank, kind of violently. Today I noticed white spots on its fins. I think it may be Ich and am going to treat with Ich-X.

Can anyone help ease my mind that this is actually Ich before I start treating? Thanks in advance!

Hello, I found this article here:

Ich or white spot

This is a nasty parasite that can be fatal if left untreated. At first you’ll notice white spots that look like your fish has been sprinkled with salt. You may notice your fish rubbing against objects in the tank in irritation. They may also rapidly move their gills, be lethargic or sit at the bottom of the tank. You’ll need to treat the whole fish tank to get rid of this parasite, which has a free-swimming stage to its lifecycle.

Follow these steps for tropical tanks:

Slowly increase the temperature of your tank over 24 hours to 29°C to speed up the lifecycle of the parasite

Keep the tank at this temperature while treatment continues

Treat with a specific White Spot cure and follow the instructions on the label

Remove carbon from your filter for the duration of the treatment period as carbon will absorb any medication you add to the water

Treat for the recommended amount of time even if you feel that it has passed, as there may still be parasites floating in the water

Cold-water fish will need to be treated with medication and aquarium salt as the temperature increase method will cause them stress. Be strict with quarantining new fish to avoid this nasty parasite.

https://www.petbarn.com.au/petspot/fish/care-and-maintenance-fish/fish-diseases-avoid/

I do believe that is ich.

The best way to treat is not medicine, but lots of water changes and raising the temperature. Ich has 3 stages in it's life: cyst (what you see on the fish), egg, free-swimming. Medication only kills it when it is free-swimming. Raising the temperature increases the cycle in which the parasite reproduces. Daily water changes will remove both eggs and free-swimming bugs. I have personally never used medication to treat ich, and just doing this has stopped the little buggers in their tracks. It is also easier on the fish than medications.

It has now spread to my other fish.

Now both of my Goldies are showing white spots. I’ve raised the temp to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and have treated the tank with Ich-X for 3 full days. I just administered the 4th dose this morning. Is it normal for it to take this long before seeing any improvements?

Now both of my Goldies are showing white spots. I’ve raised the temp to 80 degrees Fahrenheit and have treated the tank with Ich-X for 3 full days. I just administered the 4th dose this morning. Is it normal for it to take this long before seeing any improvements?

I haven’t experienced on my tank. But i found this article that may help you.

It says 14 days to complete the treatment.

https://www.thesprucepets.com/treat-ichthyophthirius-multifiliis-1378482

They’re all dead now. I treated with Ich-X for 7 days and on the morning of the 8th day one of the Goldfish and one of Plecos was dead. The others died the next day. The Ich never showed signs of improvement. I had two airstone going and did 25% water changes daily. The tank never had any measurable Ammonia or Nitrite levels.

Back
Top Bottom