White string like coming from Betta's poop hole??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shynepo3

Aquarium Advice Activist
So my betta has this white flaky string like thing hanging from or near his poop hole. Whenever poop comes out, it gets caught on it, and hangs from him (so nasty looking). Eventually the poop will fall off (with a little pestering from me and his feeding tongs), but the white thing remains. It keeps hitting his breathing fins.

At first i thought it was a piece of poo just stubbornly stuck to him, but after seeing about 3 different real pieces of poo stick to it and then subsequently fall off, i'm thinking it could be worse.

I'll put up a pic when i get home..anyone ever have this or know what it is?

have you tried pulling that off with tongs? it's possible it's a piece of hair or something that fell in while you were cleaning the tank, and it just so happened to catch on a scale.

Well I put my bett thru 2 hrs of ****. After seeing response about it being a hair, I tried to pluck at it. My betta is super ggressive, so I had to net him. So after a while of everything falling off
It, it turned out it was a hair. But it's coming out his anus! When I did get it between my tweezers, for the life of me, I could not pull it free. I literally lifted my betta out of the water as he hung by the hair.

I think he just gotta poop it out?

You could either just leave it for a week or you could tweeze it again and cut the hair off close to his butt hole.

yeah...at this point, i'm not gonna bother him. hopefully it dislodges on its own. he's extremely mad at me (or scared). every time i come by the tank, he would always rush up and jump up thru the water (he never makes it out of the tank though)...but this morn, he stayed at the back of tank - this is the FIRST time he's just avoided me.

i either stressed him out so much that he doesn't feel like moving, or he's scared/mad at me. i feel so bad for doing that to him, but i really wanted to get that hair out. a couple of times he was out of water, which must've pissed him off large..

Back
Top Bottom