Betta is sick. Internal parasites?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

xxkkxx

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I think my betta fish has internal parasites.
He is swollen in the stomach and also hasn’t pooped in a few days.

From the beginning
I noticed my betta was swollen in his abdomen a few days ago. He was having issues swimming to the top of the tank when I was feeding him and would sink down to the bottom of the tank.

The middle
I decided to fast him because I thought he was constipated. He fast for 3 full days. On the 4th day, he was given a defrosted pea. On the 4th day I noticed a long white string hanging out of his belly, which I think is the hole where the poop comes out from.
I’m not sure if the white string is from constipation or if it is a parasite ?

The end
Today is the 5th day, I am at work and I don’t know what preventions to take later on today.
I live in Canada, and it is extremely hard to find parasite medication for fish (has something to do with the laws here) I wanted to try general cure but it is not sold in Canada.

Can anyone recommend me medication that I can get in Canada for internal parasites ? Or any other recommendations would be great.

Thank you

PS you fish might have dropsy which is incurable, so you might have to get rid of the fish. ?

Good luck! Hope you can make him better !

Thanks

You have similar restrictions on medications in canada to what we have here in the UK. Aquarium salt is a good treatment that is available where medication is not available. Will cover a broad range of issues.

1 tablespoon/5 gallons.

Is your tank planted? Some plants wont tolerate salt.

Back
Top Bottom