an urchin.. maybe?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedLeggedHermit

Aquarium Advice Freak
what is this? its white with little hairs comeing off of it all over almost like an urchin. came on the rock my anemone came with.

2012-08-20-211921.jpg

RedLeggedHermit said:
what is this? its white with little hairs comeing off of it all over almost like an urchin. came on the rock my anemone came with.

Its possible, really hard to tell from the pic tho.

RedLeggedHermit said:

It may be a type of sea-squirt. I am not for sure at all but it possibly could be. It may also be a tunicate. I think it would be a tunicate more so than a squirt because of the color and hairs. But before i would say it is a tunicate or squirt I would say it is a sponge. I am not for sure what kind but I would guess a sponge first.

nope doesn't look like either a sea aquirt or a tunicate. i googled small hairy white sponges but didn't sea anything that resembled this. its an actual ball shape like an urchins body. with small hairs sticking out. which buy the way have now grabbed onto a small shell it was sitting on as well as the molted shell of one of my hermits. ill try to take a new pic under my new lights.

RedLeggedHermit said:
nope doesn't look like either a sea aquirt or a tunicate. i googled small hairy white sponges but didn't sea anything that resembled this. its an actual ball shape like an urchins body. with small hairs sticking out. which buy the way have now grabbed onto a small shell it was sitting on as well as the molted shell of one of my hermits. ill try to take a new pic under my new lights.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help. I hope you figure it out. If anything, since you don't know what it is you may want to consider disposing of it to prevent any future problems.

alright so it took some time but i found out that these little guys are really sea sponges!!! what a shame i didn't find out before takeing out that one. :( so i bought three new ones from my lfs.

Back
Top Bottom