Any ideas what the heck this is?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baldyguy

Aquarium Advice Activist
Aquired some live rock that I transported in a sealed box when I checked for any 'intruders' i found this.........when I removed it 'it' was very stubborn and broke in half.......as I further attacked it 'it' started to glow illuminous blue in aggression. Both halfs are now in my garden been eaten by a bird no doubt....but I wondered what it was. I have seen bristle worms and if it was on of those it was obviously on roids and not suited for my tank!

Attachments

• DSC01827.jpg
    DSC01827.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 65
  • DSC01828.jpg
    DSC01828.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 65
yea this is a bristleworm. nasty lol. Yes they get that big and nasty. My live rock had the same. I was able to catch a good amount of them, as well as the owner of the live rock from before was about to get all them out. rinsing them in water before putting them into your tank some should come out of the pourous rocks! thanks for the reminder of those natsy things! i never want to see those things again! lol

FAQ - Bristleworms - What are they and will they hurt my fish?

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree that it looks like a bristleworm, but I disagree that they are nasty. I'd love it for my sump since they are excellent scavengers and detrivores. If they get big enough to harm fish, you have some other very serious problems to address. JMO.

Actually... looks more like a eunicid worm to me. When larger, they can be a problem.

Bristleworms, on the other hand, aren't the big meanies they're made out to be... in my opinion. I find them to be a good part of my cleanup crew.

I agree that it looks like a bristleworm, but I disagree that they are nasty. I'd love it for my sump since they are excellent scavengers and detrivores. If they get big enough to harm fish, you have some other very serious problems to address. JMO.

I dont mind bristleworms so much. That definitely looks like one and he does look nasty but I have my bristleworm that hitchhiked from one of my LRs and he doesnt bother anyone. Hes a little guy and I like him because like HN1 says, he is a good scavenger. Hopefully he doesnt get too big where he poses a threat to my fish, otherwise, he lives in peace with everyone else!

(y)

I do have Britle Worms in my system and when I see them I remove them as I know if I catch 1 there's another 2 about somewhere.........just want to keep them under control not become a pest.....many thanks for all the input people!

They are both good and bad clearly as said. If larger, they can be a problem, if a smaller size whereas they cant eat corals or fish, they are pretty beneficial and server as CUC.

Back
Top Bottom