What the heck is my molly suffering from?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

heidigirl99

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all, I’m posting a few pictures to see if anyone had seen these white patches/film before. I have since quarantined this sweet molly who I raised from a little fry, so any help would be appreciated.

She originally looked like this gradually, but always had an appetite. Then she started having buoyancy issues, so I did my best treating her for swim bladder infection in QT (Kanaplex with Metroplex- bath and food; then I added Furan-2. Then, no meds and only meds in food). She hasn’t had meds for almost a week now but is so back and forth, and I just don’t want to keep throwing these meds at her.

Recent water parameter readings are NH3 0; Nitrite 0; Nitrate 10. I have an ammonia patch and have been doing 50-60 percent WC’s daily since she has been in this plastic tub because it isn’t cycled. I have since added wonder shells due to the low GH and KH, which are now within livebearer range. And pH is 8.0.

Anyway, she has been touch and go but just started swimming right side up three days ago. However, yesterday she looked worse and had the white film again, so I broke down and gave her the med trio (aquarium co-op) and today, she is swimming upright again. I still have no clue what I am treating though… There are no fish vets in my area either! I cannot believe these precious beings are under the care of a diy fish keeper making educated guesses.

Anyway, I be so grateful for any help at this point! Thanks. IMG_2671.jpgIMG_2670.JPG64952719232__095424ED-F391-4FFE-BCC8-A2520D0DFBC3.jpgIMG_2677.jpg

It is hard for me personally to really see in the pics. One of the usual diseases for a bleached out patch near the dorsal fin is Columnaris. Furan-2 and Kanaplex can help cure it for fish which aren't too far gone.

Check your water and temperature. Is the water quality out of the safe zone?

Is the fish stressed by another fish in the tank?

Are you familiar with the nitrification cycle? The Aquarium Advice link in my signature has that information and many more useful information for keeping a safe aquarium for your fish.

https://www.aquariumadvice.com/fish-disease-index-for-diagnosis-and-treatment/

Back
Top Bottom