Bristle worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
If you re-read my post I didn't blame them for anything. I simply said possibly they could overpopulate. Furthermore, I never said the time I had a spawning even caused any problems. I questioned what COULD happen if they overbred. Some people like to judge and criticize rather than offer advice or solutions :(

Yeah, the little buggers get a bad rap when they're actually doing a vitally important job. The only "dangerous" species are VERY recognizable as being different. Google "bearded fireworm" and "bobbit worm" to see the only two species I am aware of that I'd remove on sight.
The thing to remember about bristle worms, like any other small benthic organisms in our tanks, is that we have absolute control over the population. Add silicates to the water and you get diatoms and pineapple sponge. Add rotifers and you get more pods. Add too much food and you get more worms and mini brittle stars.
I have a bad habit of overfeeding, but I've worked hard to create a very stable food chain. I have many types of pods, a huge population of mysid, at least 3 species of bristle worms, mini brittle stars, and a breeding population of nassarius snails, so it stays pretty clean. I actually really enjoy watching the worms. Fascinating little critters.

Never had any problem with corals,fish or inverts from even my large bristle worm Named Dude.

Attachments

• image-3493381058.jpg
    image-3493381058.jpg
    154.9 KB · Views: 104
I'll think I'll leave it in there but just keep my eye on it, hasn't caused any harm so far

Keithhjs said:
If you re-read my post I didn't blame them for anything. I simply said possibly they could overpopulate. Furthermore, I never said the time I had a spawning even caused any problems. I questioned what COULD happen if they overbred. Some people like to judge and criticize rather than offer advice or solutions :(

Woah woah woah. Re-read my posts. I never criticized you in any way. My experiences and opinions come from people I know personally who drove themselves crazy trying to trap and kill the worms, NOT you at all. My reply to you was only stating that in spite of the spawning and the large population no harm was likely done to your system by having them there. You never said they were horrible and I never said you did anything wrong. The people that I was talking about who have the wrong idea about bristle worms are guys who are actually my friends. They got Arrow Crabs, traps, and tweezers to kill every one they could find. Eventually they learned to coexist with them now and are more careful about how much they feed.
As far as advice about controlling the population.. it's easy, feed sparingly, siphon detritus from the rock and sand, and modestly stock the tank with fish.

Rick, dude looks awesome! Must be at least 4 inches long and three times as thick as anything I have. Wicked cool.

crister13 said:
Where did you get mysids??? I would love to have them reproduce in my tank!

I got my mysids in a big ball of cheato I got from my LFS he keeps his in his sump so lots of lil critters tag along but I could have been lucky with that , not everyone sells the cheato they are using themselves

Bristle worms are the one thing i wish i had in my tanks. Ive got a nice population of pods, though only amphipods and would love more copepods. I have lots of buildup for them to eat in all the cracks and crevices that comes with caribbean lr that you just cant get into to clean.

I work at my LFS and when we scrub the saltwater tanks we always have bristleworms attatched to our sponges we clean with. They like to arrive on your un-cured live rock. Along with sponges and a assortment of other stuff. I've seen online bristleworms to be huge!

For those of you who WANT bristle worms, order some chaeto from Premium Aquatics, and request some with bristle worms in it. I made a trip there a few weeks ago and got some chaeto, and while picking it out, the guy asked if I wanted some with or without them, and I willingly took some with. Theyve done a great job cleaning all the extra crap in my fuge, and keep the chaeto from collecting much detritus.

And as a bonus, you get a good size ball of chaeto for a very reasonable price

Back
Top Bottom