Cottony looking stuff?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Casimira

Aquarium Advice Newbie
My husband is obsessed with his new tank! He's just starting out with a new 50 gal tank and lots of help from the fish store. Right now he just has the rock (which changes daily??), two little "flushers" (store term, not mine! 8O ) and about 10 little crabs. He's only a few weeks into it. I know nothing about it all, but am amazed at the complexity of it all. Right now it seems that every day the rock he has in there changes in some way -- things growing on it, colors appearing, etc. So far the fish and crabs seem pretty happy and things are going well (according to my husband). There is some kind of cottony looking white stuff forming on some of the rock. Is that good or bad? What is it?

Attachments

• white_stuff_192.jpg
    white_stuff_192.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 89
Went to the fish store today. When one guy said "I've never seen that before", I didn't take it as a good sign. :( We learned that we have had the light on too much, so he thinks the live rock is dying. Our saline levels are good, so he said to try to shake it/rinse it off if possible, and had us add 5 snails.

I have the same stuff on my tank. I'm fairly new to salt tanks as well but I don't think this is anything harmful. Maybe a sponge or something. We'll have to let the more experience chime in on this.

Ok, this is so amazing (to me). The fish store guy determined we were leaving our light on too long (as in - all the time :oops: ), so we turned it off all day and went about our business. Came home just now and turned the light on just to see how things were going, and the white stuff seems to have almost completely disappeared???? In it's place in one spot is dark purple covering a rock, and in another some bright orange. 8O

So ctmedman, you have to tell me what happens with yours!

The purple may be coraline and the orange may be a sponge. They could both actually be a sponge, but that is JMHO. If somebody knows better, they will chime in.

It looks like die off. Or it could be the start of a sponge. Have to wait it out and see. :wink:

ive got the same thing in many differnt places. its kindof white like yours also pink, green and small spots of neon yellow. its slimmy when you touch it but it doesnt seem to look like slime algae.

Back
Top Bottom