cyanobacteria

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Lower your nitrates, lower your phosphate, cut back on feedings (no flake food), use only RO/DI water, vacumm as much out as possible when doing pwc's.

You have to kill the source of food which is all the things cccapt just mentioned and once you have done that it helped me a lot to use the chemical cyano killer. If you don't take care of the source first though it will just come back. I don't know if this comes recommended by the experts but i thought i would give my 2 cents

thanks for the info.
water perameter is good will cut back on feeding..
:silly::hat:

Black mollies, Acclimated over an 2-4 hours from fresh to saltwater will tear into the cyano. As the above posters posted you do have to get rid of the source though, black mollies will only hide the problem (by eating all the cyano) instead of curing the problem (most likely excess nutrients). You can usually return the mollies back to the LFS. I would probably try to acclimate them back to freshwater first, or talk to your LFS to make a plan where maybe they will keep them in saltwater and sell them for this purpose (possibly costing more than the original 1.99 you pay). But remember this isn't the cure, it will grow back if you don't fix the other problems.

What is your source water for top off and pwc?
Have you tested it for PO4 (phosphate)?
That could be another source besides food.

And do all the stuff that cccapt said. Though I would start with some small pwc's just to start the vacuuming process.

Back
Top Bottom