Digitate Hydroid - Anyone have a pic or help?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jonboyb

Aquarium Advice Activist
Since day 1 over a month ago when I introduced my fully cured LR, I've had 6 or so "tentacles" that I thought were just dead material, but they do move/twitch ever so often (I thought it was always my PH's current, but they still move slightly with no current). They resemble the drawing/description on Xtalworld for a digitate hydroid, however, they are ALWAYS there, they don't pop in and out of the rock (just lay there and twitch ever so often), they DO NOT have a bulbous tip, and light DOES NOTaffect them. No new ones have showed up, in fact, I thin kI have less now than day 1. I've seen many of my snails crawling on them (turbos and ceriths) with no adverse reactions, and I would think a digitate would really hammer a small snail with their nasty sting.

However, they are white and do appear a little fuzzy (but pointed at the end). The largest might be 1/2" long and .5 mm diameter max. They haven't grown or populated so I don't think they are digitates, but I still worry. I'm about to start adding corals. Anyone have a picture......pretty please:-D They are pretty deep in my tank and I cannot get a picture at all.

I'm guessing it's a type of sponge. I've got some that send out little white fuzzy "runners" that look like the roots of a plant. If you grab it with tweezers or something does it just break off easy? Or does it retract. Retract would imply some type of animal, but if it comes off easy I'd think sponge.

I'll see if I can get a picture of mine tonight and post it.

That would make sense. IT looks almost exactly like little roots now that you mention it. I have several small white and pale green sponges on this exact piece or rock too. It never retracts when critters invade or crawl on it, but I have not tried ripping one off. Thanks for the relief:D

Couldn't really get a good picture, as I normally "trim" the ones that are really visible. But I found this one peeking out from around a corner...

img_906542_0_b11c1c2860722002e99e90e8a2040f0d.jpg

Does it look like this?

BINGO!!!! Thank you so much. That does appear to be exactly what I have. I need to hit a couple of aiptasias with Joe's tonight so I'll go ahead and tweezer these guys too.

Back
Top Bottom