Feather duster worm?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CTCG

Aquarium Advice Regular
Just bought one yesterday, otherwise I would have no guess on this.

Attachments

• image-985998700.jpg
    image-985998700.jpg
    64.8 KB · Views: 141
I see my confusion. That used to be attached to the feather duster. Will it float and thrive? Good or bad?

Here it is when it was attached.

Attachments

• image-689656289.jpg
    image-689656289.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 128
Some fish love to eat them. The tang goes insane if she sees a piece. My emerald crabs will also annihilate it. But bubble algae is a nuisance algae.

Crepe said:
Bad. They'll coat everything. Gently scoop it out of your tank. Don't pop it.

Scooped and tossed! Thx!

He has now abandoned the old shell/casing. ??? !!!

I must have gotten a bonus worm! I see a green one at the back and the one ad pictured before.

Is that possible? Do they have babies?

Attachments

• image-863806036.jpg
    image-863806036.jpg
    60.2 KB · Views: 109
Everyone quit searching... I found the answer:

Reproduction

Feather duster worms reproduce both sexually and asexually. Sexual reproduction involves the release of gametes into the water where the fertilized eggs develop into free-swimming larvae that eventually settle in an appropriate habitat. In the case of Serpulids, they settle on corals and the coral grows around the calcareous tube they build, making asexual reproduction nearly an impossibility for them. Soft tube varieties reproduce sexually, but many form dense colonies of clones by a budding process called scissipary. In this process the posterior end of the worm breaks off and develops a new crown while the “parent” grows a new posterior.

Back
Top Bottom