Green spots on sand bed?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah they are brown, sorry
Should I let them be there or bury them in the sand?

I have some base rock right now, is this going to turn it into a "live" rock?

After some time base rock will become live rock. It just needs time to develop life on and in it.

No, diatoms are basically an unfortunate stage after cycling, most if not all tanks get it. Some worse than others. It really doesn't have anything to do with your base rock turning into live rock. That just takes time and ongoing decent water quality. If you add a little actual live rock in with the base rock, this time will be shortened considerably.
Diatoms are a pain and unsightly, but it will pass.
Best of luck!

Okay, I have 45 pounds of base rock and I have added about 25 pounds of live rock, but plan on adding 10-20 more...how long will it take for the base to become living? An should I wait to add fish until it is all living?

Sounds good! It will take a few months at least for the base to be considered live rock, but as long as you have cycled the tank, and your ammonia and nitrite are zeros, you can add livestock. I always went with the one organism a week creed, adding slowly allows the beneficial bacteria a chance to populate, to handle the load. Slower is always better in this respect.

So should I get a CUC and then a week later get my first fish or are you talking about from fish to fish?

Just fish to fish, CUC's impact is minimal. And if your fish require introduction together( like a mated pair or something). Just give the tank a little more time before the next introduction. 10 days or so. This really helps the tank stay more stable while stocking.

Diatoms are really showing up now!
Thought I'd update everyone
Can anyone tell me where the bubbles are coming from that is on top of all of them? Every minute or so a few rise to the top and pop

It happens as the algae eats the nutrients and coverts it into gas. I think I am correct on that. How long has you tank been up and running? I got the same stuff while my tank was going threw the beginning stages.

Oh it's still cycling so I'm not worried about it, someone earlier on here said they would just go away, is this true?

Yup over time as the tanks finishs the cycle and the algae has eaten up all the nutrients in the tank. If you are cycling turn the lights out. I didn't do this during my cycle and my tank was like a rainforest. It will help minimize the growth.

Back
Top Bottom