Hair Algae and Diatoms

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

madstyle1

Aquarium Advice Freak
wondering if its safe to take out LR out of water and scrub off Algae hair with a toothbrush? Also by taking out the LR out of the water it will give me room to siphon out all the diatoms on the sand. Any advice?

Water Paramaters as follows:
Ammonia:0ppm
Nitrite and Nitrate: both at 0ppm
PH:8.4
Phosphate .25

started off with tap water but with last water change ... I change to RO/DI

Ive been doing weekly water changes, cut back on lighting, and feed every two days.

I have 2 clowns, 10 turbo snails, and 2 emerald crabs.

You can scrub it off. I wouldn't worry about the diatoms, they will burn out quickly enough.

ok thanks ...i think i have found the source why it keeps coming back. everytime i change the water i never i scrub the algae on the rocks so im assuming its still being fueled by that rock. so thats the reason why i asked that question in the first place

It's not being fueled by the algae... it's being fueled by 0.25ppm phosphates! Scrubbing it down will help, but I'm pretty sure it'll be back. The RO/DI will obviously help, but I'd get some phosphate remover (RowaPhos, etc) in there as it'll take a while for water changes to dilute down the water.

I agree, the phosphates can be the of the hair algea. Check your phosphate level from your RO/DI water.

get some ceriths and be done with diatoms for ever, and still use the cheap water...kurt already busted you ;)

Back
Top Bottom