How to keep JUMPERS in your tank???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heineken

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm in the process of cycling my tank, and I'm going through a revised "fish/invert wish list". Here it is: (for a 90 gal)

1 perc clown
2-3 green chromis
1 or 2 firefish (purple or red? any preferences?)
1 coral beauty ( this one will NOT eat corals....knock on wood)
1 watchman goby
clean-up crew
A few soft corals
An anemone or two further down the road

I've heard that the firefish like to go carpet surfing. Is this a given, or are there acceptions. I don't want to cover my tank with the glass cover so I can allow optimum gas exchange. And yet, I don't want to leave it uncovered. Everyone recommends eggcrate, but I think it looks very unattractive. My tank stand is low, so you can easily see the top of my tank. Anyone have firefish with an open top without any problems?
I have a bunch of caves and intricate rock-work, so hopefully they will feel safe and secure. Any thoughts on this? Thanks

Don't have any recommendations for the top. But, I would get no less than 3 chromis.. they tell me they do better in odd numbers. I would also get 2 firefish... they do better with more in the tank. I would also HIGHLY recommend a lawnmower blennie later when you get a little algae... they're fun to watch..

Go the local HD and ask for eggcrate. It's a plastic latice material that you can cut to shape and place over the tank. The squares are large enough to let light in and promote gas exchange but small enough to keep the fish in.

Cheers
Steve

Besides eggcrate and glass I dont think I have heard of any other methods of people covering there tank. If you think the white eggcrate looks terrible go buy some black spray paint and spray it so it doesnt stand out so much OR better yet you could make yourself a canopy to hide the eggcrate which would also allow you to put more lighting in your tank thru retrofitting HTH

I've thought about using plexiglass. You can drill holes in it for better gas-exchange. Since it won't be supporting anything, you can use a pretty thin sheet.

The fire fish will jump. Mine leapt out of the LFS's tank and landed in the net! (thankfully!)

I would say that your list looks great with two exceptions.

1. I would have at least 2 clowns. They do much better in pairs and look really cute when the swim together at night while they sleep. (aww...their in love.) Clowns will automatically switch sex so that the larger of the two is the female.

2. Only one Firefish. They are known to not like each other to much. ( although I have heard that if kept in large enough groups, they will work things out.) I prefer the looks of the Purple Firefish. Its a bit more colorful and has a neat little relationship with the holes in your liverock. Check out my gallery for a pic.

Hey! Your a copier!!! My list is very similar!
2 ocellarious Clowns
1 purple firefish
1 Coral Beauty Angel
1 Yellow watchman goby
1 Coral Banded shrimp

Thats ok, It is an awsome grouping of fish! :p Let us know what you decide!

By the way, they do have mettallic egg crate material available with tiny holes. it accually looks really great! (I just use a glass top though just to be safe.)

Not all firefish are jumpers. I have no top on mine and my firefish is still there. Ive heard they are shy, but not mine.

Thanks for the replies. Basically, I was hoping that I could get away with no cover at all with firefish. But the consensus seems to be that a cover would be best. Drilling holes in plexiglass seems like a good idea. Anyone see any problems with this? Eggcrate seems like the cheaper/easier way to go, and I bet I'll end up with it.

Anyway thanks again for the replies. I'll post the list of fish when I get them. I can't wait!!

BTW, what order should I introduce them into my tank? Obviously I shouldn't add them all at once, so I was curious to see what you all thought.
Oh, and not just fish but corals too. Should the corals be the last in the tank? I'll probably start with a few of the easier ones like zoos and leathers and such. Thanks!

Could one use window screen material instead of eggcrate? You could make a frame that fits around all your stuff and cover it with screen. More work but might look nicer.

The firefish first and the angel last, the ones in the middle are basically the same temperment so they can go in any order after the dartfish. I would add them in the groups by species though. They will group/school better if introduced together.

Cheers
Steve

what about the reptile screens that they sell now...All-glass makes them so they fit standard tanks. Maybe something like that may work for you?

My firefish hasn't jumped in the 5 months I've had him. Maybe it has something to do with other tank roomates that might make them jump? I dunno.

I think the eggrcrate can look kinda nice when it's cut nicely and fitted. However, mine sits on the floor behind the tank because it cast a little darkness over my tank when its on. Definitely a reduction in the light.

I most likely willl use them again, but I'll upgrade my lights to from 4x65 to 4x96 first.

austinsdad said:
mine sits on the floor behind the tank because it cast a little darkness over my tank when its on. Definitely a reduction in the light.

Try the metal eggcrates, the sides should reflect light nicely.

I don't know for sure on this one, But I belive the metal is thin and plyable enough to be cut with those metal nippers. (man I sound like an idiot.)

I think Home Depot carries the eggcrate material so you may wanna check it out and decide for yourself.

I forgot about my little nippers.

I'd wonder if anyone has used them and can tell us something. Otherwise, I'll wait to hear before I take them home, cut'm up and have another problem. Also wondering how they'd do in close proximity to salt and water.

Metal eggcrate, huh? I never knew there was such a thing. It would help with keeping the light intense enough. But I too would like to know how this would hold up over SW.

I"m sure someone has tried this. Hopefully he/she runs into this thread. It would look a little nicer than the cheapy, plastic-looking ones. Like someone else mentioned, buying/making a hood is an option. I still have a bunch of left over woodstain that I used for the stand. Would I be able to use my current Coralife Aqualight fixture? Or would I have to go out and buy a retro-fit of some sort. I guess in the end, I'm just being too darn picky. We spend a lot of $$ and time on our tanks. I want everything to be just right. :mrgreen:

Back
Top Bottom