Identify this leather please

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bighabeeb

Aquarium Advice Freak
Picked it up last night at LFS midnight sale. I got the important stuff (does it need to be fed, are T5 sufficient etc), but didnt have an opportunity to ask much beyond that as the **** was insanely packed.

Anybody able to help with identification? Need to know where to place it in the tank, if a powerhead should be in its general direction etc Right now I've got it down at the bottom of the tank with some indirect water flow - its directly in the light, but way down the bottom.

Any help is appreciated!
leather.jpg

Theyre not that hard to take care of or seem agressive at all?? Heres pic of mine after about 10 mo

Attachments

• image-587825461.jpg
    image-587825461.jpg
    64.5 KB · Views: 88
All corals are aggressive to some extent chemical or physical warfare. As long as you are running a skimmer and don't have any sps or lps to close it should be fine. I had an acan just about kill a piece of leather one morning I woke up and it actually had the stingers our pulling it to its mouths. What a mess the leather is surviving but is battle scarred.

Gotcha. I'm def. new to the whole coral thing, so my plan is to use as many softie/peaceful stuff as I can :)

Just added this dude who I got in exchange for the leather, for the moment. The guy at my LFS is very understanding of my paranoia and swapped it out for me. :)
coral.jpg.JPG

Truth told my wife will like this one better anyway - more colorful, and fills some of the open space on my substrate.

Ooh, glad I posted that pic - looks like I got a little aiptasia poppin up in the background - scuse me while I go nuke him :)

OMG don't take this one back because of aggression. Just make sure the sweepers don't touch any of the other corals. That is a open brain or a Wellsophyllia, It is beautiful!

OMG don't take this one back because of aggression. Just make sure the sweepers don't touch any of the other corals. That is a open brain or a Wellsophyllia, It is beautiful!

Where would "Sweepers" be? I mean, I've read on them, but didn't actually see them anywhere on the piece...

I like the open brain better anyway (more ot the point, my wife does, and she needs to or I get the "You spent MORE money on the fish tank?" talk).

Watch at night usually about an hour after the lights go out the sweepers come out I think on those they are like an inch or two at the most. When you feed your tank turn off the pumps for about 15 minutes and you might see it eating. You will be spending time at night with a flashlight and a magnifying glass. You might want to consider dipping all corals that come into your tank with something like coral rx to help kill all the pests that can come in.

Just make sure you don't credit soft corals to being peaceful. Zooanthids have such a potent neurotoxin that it can get us pretty sick, like hospitalized sick. The thing is, it has short tentacles. As long as the other corals aren't in range of it, they are safe. Same goes with acans and galaxy corals.

Just make sure you don't credit soft corals to being peaceful. Zooanthids have such a potent neurotoxin that it can get us pretty sick, like hospitalized sick. The thing is, it has short tentacles. As long as the other corals aren't in range of it, they are safe. Same goes with acans and galaxy corals.

Appreciate the advice - my other coral at the moment is a zoan colony - and I did read up on how they can really mess us up pretty badly: always wear gloves when handling them, and only handle them when absolutely necessary.

Honestly that's my general rule of thumb about stuff in my tank in general. I used to be much more free about reaching in and fiddling with things: then I saw my first bristle worm. No thank you. As someone who dislikes bugs and worms of all shapes and sizes, I felt no need to put my bare arm anywhere NEAR that creepy thing (who is now well over a foot long, by the way)

Back
Top Bottom